lukas
Newly Registered

Any bizzare fruit trees/plants to grow

hello all. Since I am a minority on this site (living in Australia)
I was wondering if any of the fine people of America could tell
me of some bizzare species of fruit that I may be able to grow.
I have already planted; Lychie, Tamarillo, some guavas, coffee,
pineapple, fig, strawberry's and some native species to queensland
Can anyone help me extend my orchid.
Thank you all for the help. :D

biwa

Pomegranate, pawpaw, passion fruit, apricot, kiwi fruit, mulberry. Also, I heard from a good source that cherimoya fruit is tasty, but I wouldn't recommend getting it because it requires pollinating by hand.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head that I would consider "bizarre." The pawpaw is kind of a fickle tree; I'm not sure how well it would grow in Australia. Since I live in a colder area, I'm not very familiar with warm-climate plants. You should try talking to someone from Hawaii.

momo
Cool Member

There's a great book called 'Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden' that you might like to look at. Biwa listed a lot of the fruits in it already though. Speaking of Biwa, Loquats are tasty and not common in supermarkets at least :)
Chinese Che is a relative of Mulberries and looks delicious, I'm going to plant one at my place next year. Shipova, a wild cross of European Pear and Mt. Ash is another one I'm planning on adding, they sound heavenly. Also Jujube, Gumi, Autumn Olive (which has the added benefit of fragrant flowers but can be highly invasive,) Gooseberries and Currants, Cornelian Cherry, Jostaberry, Medlar.
And I know Kiwis probably aren't very unusual down under, but there are hardy kiwis with red flesh and skin that are quite unique.
Good luck! Whenever I hear about a fruit that I can't get at the market I want to grow one for myself :P

biwa

I can't believe I forgot to mention the fruit of my namesake! Thanks momo. Yes biwa are also unusual and yummy. I wish they grew in my climate.

joolz
Newly Registered

I have no great suggestions of what to plant, but I would not bother with gooseberries. They are bitter when unripe and pretty tasteless when ripe. However, the kids have a great time throwing them at each other. :D

damethod

I HIGHLY recommend Sapodilla and Jaboticaba trees. Sapodilla tastes like a fine pear dipped in brown sugar. Jaboticaba is hard to describe, it's a small dark berry with a tiny seed. The flesh is melting and delicious.

I also like Longans, a relative of Lychee. You should try different types of bananas as well! :D

Intriguedbybonsai

Kei apples
Carambola(starfruit)
Durian(people say it's fruit has an unpleasant odor, but the taste is divine)
Bread fruit

But try [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fruits]here[/url]for a list of your native Australian fruits.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

joolz, there are varieties of gooseberry that are quite tasty, but many aren't very impressive, having been bred for quite a while in england solely for size. not all are tasteless when ripe, though, by a long shot.

there's a thornless chinese hawthorne variety that has a nice fresh-edible fruit around some places. and aside from shipova, there's a couple of russian-bred mountain ash hybrids, too, one with hawthorne, one with aronia.
aronia, for that matter, is an interesting uncommon fruit. some of these may be a bit too cool-climate for you.

loquat was a good suggestion.

damethod

!potatoes! wrote:joolz, there are varieties of gooseberry that are quite tasty, but many aren't very impressive, having been bred for quite a while in england solely for size. not all are tasteless when ripe, though, by a long shot.

there's a thornless chinese hawthorne variety that has a nice fresh-edible fruit around some places. and aside from shipova, there's a couple of russian-bred mountain ash hybrids, too, one with hawthorne, one with aronia.
aronia, for that matter, is an interesting uncommon fruit. some of these may be a bit too cool-climate for you.

loquat was a good suggestion.
Some fruit only produce good quality fruit in certain areas. The 'feijoa' is a good example. The heat here in south FL causes the fruit quality to decline. Maybe the good tasting gooseberries taste good because they are grown in that particular location. I personally have never tried a gooseberry that I would choose over ANY other berry.

If a berry type fruit is what you want...PLEASE look into Jaboticaba A.K.A. Jabuticaba.

ManokAnak

Try researching some of those native underutilized fruits of Australia. I did some reading about them a while back, most people in the world never heard or tried some of the fruit there and are worth a try.

Since you actually live there, I am sure you can find out a lot more information at libraries, botanic gardens, and on the web. So for now I will leave some non-scientific wikipedia list as a stating point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_food_origins#Fruits_of_Australian_origin

If I could I would grow langka and lanzones, but Queensland probably would not be suitable, but NE Australia would. Hey, maybe you could do raisin tree(Hovenia dulcis)?

As for citrus, I'd grow Citrus medica 'Diamante' and Sorrento lemon to make my own limoncello.

damethod

Funny how we all post with such fervor and the original poster probably hasn't even looked at this page again! LOL

lukas
Newly Registered

Thanks for all your comments everyone and I will get stuck into that orchad. I have planted a white mulberry, bush lemon, lime, macadamiasbut I will look into all of those great fruits just once agian thanks so much for replying. :D

midn1352

I think a great exotic fruit tree is the starfruit, also known as carambola. The two we had (in southwest Florida) put out more fruit than we could eat at a time haha if you've never had one, they taste kinda apple-banana-peachy... Store-bought starfruit are ok, but yard-grown ones tend to taste better. I don't know much about Australia, but our area is dirty sand (mostly sand but some dirt), humid, hot, mostly-sun to sunny, and Plant Hardiness Zone 10. I hear Kiwano fruit are very good, but I've never grown one...

Return to “All Other Fruit”