Intriguedbybonsai

Has anyone tried Mango seed germination?

I've recently been trying to germinate a few mango seeds. So after finishing a few mangos I decided to pry open the hairy, covered, seed-husk to reveal a large, bean-like seed.

For the first method I'd thought I try planting 2 seeds in a pot of moist soil, slightly covered with soil, and then covering the pot with plastic wrap. Then placing the pot in a sunny location. Supposedly the plastic wrap acts like a mini greenhouse keeping the atmosphere within the pot hot and humid. After a few days of becoming impatience without any signs of sprouting, I was really nosey to see of their progress. I gently uncovered the seeds, and pulled them out. To my surprise both seeds have grown long purplish-red roots.
So far so good I guess. With the seeds quickly returned to the soil I guess I'll keep waiting.

My 2nd experiment which I've just started today included wrapping a seed in a moist paper towel, and placed inside of a plastic ziploc bag(unsealed of course). Once again keeping it in a warm location.

Does anyone know of any other methods to mango seed germination?

applestar
Mod

I'm growing my 2nd mango seed now. 1st one has 5 leaves. I started with a clear covered plastic container with 1" sand and filtered water to 1/2" above the sand. Nestled the "bean" on its side and checked daily until the root was about 1/2" long, then potted in a black nursery pot (6"diamx6.5"high) of 1:1:1 rough screened compost:good soil:sand + some composted bark. Left about 1" space above the soil to the pot rim and covered with slitted clear plastic cover that comes with aluminum take out containers in dappled shade. The cover stayed on until the little shoot was almost touching it.

For people who want to do this, I've found that if the mango has been refrigerated, the seed will NOT grow. I made the mistake twice -- 1st time, I only ate 1/2 the mango, so the other 1/2 was kept in the fridge overnight. 2nd time, I didn't have time to process the seed so I foolishly put it in the fridge to keep from spoiling... :roll:

My little guy's growth has stalled. Night temps went down in the 50's about a week ago so I brought the pots inside (SE window). But on the open window sill, the nigh temps in the 60's for the past week seem to be too low. The second one's shoot hasn't grown yet either. Hopefully with warmer/hotter weather in the forecasts, they'll pick up again.

Good luck with yours! :D

Intriguedbybonsai

applestar wrote:
For people who want to do this, I've found that if the mango has been refrigerated, the seed will NOT grow. I made the mistake twice -- 1st time, I only ate 1/2 the mango, so the other 1/2 was kept in the fridge overnight. 2nd time, I didn't have time to process the seed so I foolishly put it in the fridge to keep from spoiling... :roll:

Thanks for the heads up. Of course I don't like refrigerating my fruit anyways because of my sensitive teeth.

Good luck with yours! :D

Thanks!

Intriguedbybonsai

One of the seeds has sprouted two tiny sets of leaves, and the other seed is getting ready to sprout as well. Is it safe to remove the plastic wrap for good now?

applestar
Mod

I would say yes. You might want to do it gradually -- slash holes in to begin with and/or support higher up with chopsticks or skewers.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've grown a number of mango trees from seed, many of which had been refrigerated. I wonder what the difference is.

Return to “All Other Fruit”