Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Blackberries with no thorns needed???

I have been growing these for 31 years. They have the best flavor and they are as large as a nickel sometimes as large as a quarter, I have never wanted to risk trying anything different. I can pick 10 gallon from my little 5ft by 20 ft patch of berries. I picked a gallon of berries today, made another cobbler, more pancake syrup, froze the rest. The 1/2" long thorns must be hybrids thorns for sure, I need some plants with no thorns.

What type blackberries are the best, large, good flavor, no thorns???

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/000_0033.jpg?t=1247367301
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

The first two types on this page are thornless:
[url]https://www.ediblelandscaping.com/plants.php?func=showall[/url]

Good pic, Those are some nice berries!

applestar
Mod

I planted Triple Crown last fall. They are growing vigorously now, but no flowers. I expect them to flower and bear fruit on 2nd year canes so I won't be able to tell you how they taste until next year. :wink:

... That IS, assuming I've rigged a way to keep the catbirds away. Right now, I have "wild" extremely thorny blackberries growing and the birds take them as soon as they get red, but blackberries don't taste good until they're black! :roll: There's no way to use a netting/cage around these because of the thorns -- the thorns either catch the netting to the point of frustration, OR the thorns scratch you if you try to adjust the canes away from wire fencing or to pick the fruits in tight spaces. :x I've FINALLY had ENOUGH. So the wild ones are going away as soon as the Triple Crowns start producing. :evil:

biwa

There are thornless types of boysenberries that are yummy.

Return to “All Other Fruit”