sweet thunder

Blueberries!

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2464/3708681074_e2dfb6a166.jpg[/img]

Last year we got about half a cup of tiny berries from all three bushes combined, which I threw into a small batch of muffins, but this year (their third) we might actually see something resembling a crop, especially since I finally got my act together to take better care of them. These are about the size of a dime, so much better than last year!

We planted three more this spring in another part of the yard (different varieties) so I'm hoping the bounty will only increase!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good. I'm jealous I planted one last year that I though had died, it was a brown stalk with no leaves at all. It came back from the dead though to meet it's brother that I planted this year.

If I may ask, there are always a bunch of leaves that are red on the tips. Is this a sign of not doing well or are they supposed to be red. I actually just realized that they like acidic soil so I amended the soil lightly a few day's ago.

Dono

momo
Cool Member

I'm so jealous, I planted six bare-root blueberries in the spring and my new puppy killed them all :cry:
[img]https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq268/momo2820/lola4.jpg[/img]

Next year I'm putting a fence around them :roll:

sweet thunder

I'm not really sure about the red leaf tips, as I'm still a bit new to growing blueberries. Mine turn a bit reddish, too, some varieties more than others. It was worse last year when I was less consistent with watering.

Arlene

Blueberry leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. I put some Miracle Grow on the bigger bush and I noticed a couple leaf tips turned red. I usually just pour it on the dirt around the bush. Also I was told, at the nursery, to dig all your coffee grounds in and around the bushes as they are acid which blueberries love. :P

Diane
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Looking good. I'm jealous I planted one last year that I though had died, it was a brown stalk with no leaves at all. It came back from the dead though to meet it's brother that I planted this year.

If I may ask, there are always a bunch of leaves that are red on the tips. Is this a sign of not doing well or are they supposed to be red. I actually just realized that they like acidic soil so I amended the soil lightly a few day's ago.

Dono
I can't find an answer for this. I've had my bush for about 15 years. I sometimes see a tiny bit of red and always wondered why.
I planted a small bush last year that started getting red tips and some leaves lots of red. It didn't get larger. I moved this bush. I also gave it lots of water so it would take. The red went away on the tips.
While looking around I found that the plants like lots of water. I should have known this.
Another bush I planted this spring came with instructions to water every day. I do and it has doubled in size already.
So more water may be the answer.

jdeb

Diane wrote: Another bush I planted this spring came with instructions to water every day. I do and it has doubled in size already.
So more water may be the answer.
Oh yes and acid soil too. If you have bilberries growing wild anywhere near you then those are the conditions that blueberries like too. If you are not sure what to do take a look at [url]https://www.soft-fruit.co.uk/category/blueberry-plants-blueberries/[/url] which I found about a year ago and which has transformed our blueberry growing at home. They really do like stuff like sawdust, and lots and lots of water. Really important to use rain water as most tap water is alkaline.

Not too sure about the red leaves, they just do go red, but I do not think it is a problem.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sawdust huh? I am in construction and could get that by the ton, well not really 'the ton' but you know what I mean. I have already put some "Hollytone For Acid Loving Plants" fertilizer on them as well as a few pine needles.

Diane
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Sawdust huh? I am in construction and could get that by the ton, well not really 'the ton' but you know what I mean. I have already put some "Hollytone For Acid Loving Plants" fertilizer on them as well as a few pine needles.
It's amazing how quickly my plant recovered from a lack of iron (because of a lack of acid) by giving it acid fertilizer, peat moss spread all around it and a thick mulch.
The new growth yellow leaves turned green within two weeks.

Diane
Green Thumb

Oh yes and acid soil too. If you have bilberries growing wild anywhere near you then those are the conditions that blueberries like too. If you are not sure what to do take a look at [url]https://www.soft-fruit.co.uk/category/blueberry-plants-blueberries/[/url] which I found about a year ago and which has transformed our blueberry growing at home. They really do like stuff like sawdust, and lots and lots of water. Really important to use rain water as most tap water is alkaline.

Not too sure about the red leaves, they just do go red, but I do not think it is a problem.[/quote]

That site is a good one. There are no blueberries growing near me, I'm in the city. I have seen bushes at my brothers house. They were in shade with moist soil. There weren't many berries on them, so I guess the sun helps with that.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice link Diane, thanks. Time to do some changes in my garden.

Do you all think I could dig my Blueberries up, amend the soil correctly than replant without too much shock to the plants?

Dono

Diane
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Nice link Diane, thanks. Time to do some changes in my garden.

Do you all think I could dig my Blueberries up, amend the soil correctly than replant without too much shock to the plants?

Dono
How old are they? The one from last year? Yes. I did and it improved. My soil is acid. I only know this because acid loving plants grow well here.
I only moved my plant because I knew it was going to die if I didn't. Not enough sun.
It has new growth and looks good except for one branch.
If your soil is acidic already just amend the topsoil , mulch and give the plants acid fertilizer.

Return to “All Other Fruit”