Pebbles

Hi

I am new to gardening but I just wanted to let you know that I have experimented with a shop bought kiwi fruit.

I sliced it in half and took some of the seeds out of it. I didn't dry them out and placed the seeds directly into a pot of compost and spray watered them every day for 3 weeks on my window sill. After 3 weeks they started to come up through the compost.

I now have about 25 kiwi plants coming up. They are only small at the moment - about an inch and a half high but they look very healthy. I have now put them in my greenhouse. I hope they continue to grow and produce fruit.

The temperature over here is between 65 and 75 farenheight (inside the greenhouse). We are just coming into our summer months so I am hoping they will do well. :D

damethod

Remember to provide a trellis if they do continue to grow for you. Good luck!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if any of the real hardy kiwis (A. arguta or kolomikta) could be bought in a store, I would be all over that.

damethod

The very best tasting cultivars of all kinds of fruit are never found at a grocery chain. They focus on look and how well they store and/or ship. I have four different mango trees all with better tasting fruit than in the grocery store. However, they are not nearly as visually appealing.

AuntieM
Newly Registered

Hi y'all,
Yipee, I did just what Pebbles did except I just put my seeds on a papertowel in a baggie, and placed it near a lightbulb, seeds facing away from the light, and most of them sprouted. Within 2 weeks.
One is now about a 1/2 inch high, and if all goes well the others will follow and be happy little sprouts in my plastic egg carton. ( They are great little green houses)
I'm just wondering if your kiwi plants flowered in your greenhouse over the summer?
Did you have any luck???

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I've decided to grow kiwi fruit an mass. Will let you all know how the crop does. ordered a bunch of seeds and should have no problem. I love them in fruit salads. a good fruit to sell later in the season.

Bodhi
Newly Registered

Well, heard some 'nays' here, but I haven't seemed to have any trouble getting my seed to germinate. It took anywhere between 2 weeks and 1 month to get them up, species 'arguta,' and out of about 50 seed about 20 made it. Seed was purchased through www.tradewindsfruitstore.com
I used a compost and peat mix, with dash of perlite. Planted in November, when weather here was really turning cold. By mid December they were mostly up, and a week ago I potted them in larger pots, mostly to get them out of the heavier compost mix. I probably would have had more seeds sprout, if I hadn't overdone the compost in original planting, (low on peat)
Hope I helped, know old post but never a bad thing to put out info. :)

*Additional Note: This is usually the time of year I do seeds and cuttings. I live in 'Zone 9B,' but believe me, last few years acts more like Zone 9A to lower Zone 8. I do not stratify, chill in fridge, nor scarify. I will remove corky bark from seeds like Brugs, but that's about it. I usually always get seedlings up. Also swear by 'Superthrive'...this stuff in weakened format is great to boost hard to sprout seeds. Use no ferts until well established.

Return to “All Other Fruit”