FarNorCalGrl
Newly Registered

watermelon help please...

I planted two types of watermelons, sugar baby and crimson sweet(?). Only my sugar baby plants are producing. I have about 10-15 pea size watermelons and only three of them took off and are getting pretty big now. The rest of the pea size ones are just sitting not doing anything. Is there something I could do to get these guys growing? How much water should I be giving them? I fertilize with fish fertilizer and everything seems to be doing fine except my watermelons. Please any ideas or anything will help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow them myself, not having the space they need. But since no one else has jumped in here yet, all I can suggest is whether all the conditions for them are met. I'm sure you realize that watermelons are 90% water, so they need a lot of watering (unless you are getting a lot of rain, like we have). They need full sun for 8 hrs a day. Another thing that slows them down is cool night temperatures. They do best when night temps are 70 or above...

If this doesn't help, write some more about what the conditions have been where you are and where they are growing and maybe someone who actually grows watermelons will jump in!

momo
Cool Member

I'm not so far north in cal so I don't know about your weather this year but ours has been unusually cool. My peas and cabbages are very happy but the heat-lovers (including watermelon) in my garden aren't growing nearly as quickly as usual.

Return to “All Other Fruit”