barney
Newly Registered

Raspberry leafs are browning

Can anyone help with what I can do to solve this problem.Thanks
[img]https://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/barneyrubble40/DSC_0777.jpg[/img]
Bonus photo.
[img]https://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/barneyrubble40/DSC_0663.jpg[/img]

wolfie

I'm hoping that is normal because my older leaves look like that. I just cut them off and go on about my business!

rdesil
Newly Registered

that looks like foilage disease. Have you been keeping your soil clean? I have that same problem with my pepper plants and I had to transplant them into new soil because for some reason the soil got sour for the plant and now the plant is growing new lush green leaves.

Also see if you can examine the roots to see if they are a nice white root instead of a brownish black root. (This is usually due to over watering)

techlawbird
Newly Registered

I know with my raspberries, that I need to remove the old plants (2 year plants) every year. This spring I didn't have time and I have alot of dead wood. The plants have berries on them but the canes look really bad.

One thing I notice in your picture is that the leafs have wholes in them. Are they being eating by something?

Diane
Green Thumb

techlawbird wrote:I know with my raspberries, that I need to remove the old plants (2 year plants) every year. This spring I didn't have time and I have alot of dead wood. The plants have berries on them but the canes look really bad.

One thing I notice in your picture is that the leafs have wholes in them. Are they being eating by something?
I planted my raspberries about 3/4 years ago. I didn't cut away the 2 year canes and found that I got lots more fruit from them than the two year canes the following year.
Which is a good thing because I think I cut some two year canes last winter.
When do you cut away the two year canes techlawbird?

Diane
Green Thumb

Barney, are these leaves from older canes? Or is this on all of your leaves? As my canes get older some look kind of rough. Some three year canes died right after fruiting this summer.
I know I shouldn't have any three year canes but they really put forth lots of berries.
Last year I got a much smaller second harvest on the canes I didn't prune near the end of summer. I usually cut back the growing tips, not this year.

Return to “All Other Fruit”