xpoc454

cherry tree questions

I would like to maybe start a cherry tree or two in my yard and had some questions.

What are the ranges of heights you can get with cherry trees. I know its dependant on species and if its dwarf or not.

Do you need two trees to pollinate eachother. Can they be the same species or do they have to be other species if so?

Do cherry trees have special needs for light/shade, soil type, ph or temperature?

I was thinking on maybe growing a bing cherry tree, medium to small size so I can harvest cherries without getting way up on a ladder.

thanks for any info
jim

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I don't know a whole lot, but can share some info about my aunt's cherry tree.

Hers is around 15ft tall, and you can pick some cherries on the ground, but to get all you'd need a latter. She only has one, so you don't need to to produce sherries. I'm pretty sure they just pollinate betweeen flowers. Her cherry tree is along her fence, in the middle of flower gardens and gets no shade or anything, but she lives in Iowa so it's not too hot. She also never specifically waters it, so they take little care.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Some species of cherry trees are not self-fertile. For those, you will need to plant another type to serve as a pollinator.

This article offers a good explanation. You'll find the pollination information if you scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page:

https://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb0838/eb0838.html

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Grandparents had a cherry tree in the front yard near the road. They lived in the country 8 miles from town. There was no other cherry trees for many miles. I use to get up in the tree and pick cherries so my Grandmother could make a cherry pie. The tree was loaded with cherries. It was probably 25 ft tall tree. The tree was there long before my Grandparents ever moved into that house. I think cherry is a hard wood tree I don't know how fast they grow but most hard woods are slow growers. If it grow anything like an apple tree you might be getting a lot of cherry pies in about 10 years.

applestar
Mod

The way I understand it, sour/pie cherries are mostly self fertile but will produce more with a 2nd tree, whereas most sweet cherries need cross pollination by compatible 2nd variety. You do need to consider cold hardiness vs. chill hours, depending on where you live.

The range of height is from about 6ft~45ft, if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that in addition to access for harvesting, you will need to prune frequently, and many birds as well as squirrels and other animals will try to eat the red fruits just before the cherries are quite ripe, requiring netting or other protection.

There are several genetic dwarf pie cherry varieties, North Star being one exampole. Otherwise, you can get them grafted on dwarfing root stock. There are also "bush" cherries that, I believe are actually not real cherries but produce pie-cherry like fruits.

In sweet cherries, you can get them on standard, semi-dwarf, and dwarf root stocks. (Not sure if standards are on own roots or not) The most common two different root stocks are Mazzard and something else that starts with an "A", and one of them is better for growing in clay-er soil (I'm thinking Mazzard, but I'm not sure), but for the most part, Cherries need well draining soil or will suffer root rot.

I recall seeing a variety called "Garden" Stella or Bing, which I believe is one of those "patio" -- extra short -- size varieties, that I'm pretty sure was self-fertile. You can also get 3-in-one, 4-in-one, or 5-in-one trees that have different varieties grafted onto a single tree.

You can also espalier cherry trees to control their size.

Return to “All Other Fruit”