Earl K
Green Thumb

Your opinions on Meyer lemon

I am now thinking about getting one of these trees.(thanks to a tip from cynthia_h).Im reading about them being inside,will it do good outside?Please share your thoughts on this tree.Thanks in advance :wink:
Florida porchgrown veggies
USDA zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Grandma H. grew many varieties of citrus in Sarasota, Florida, but she didn't have Meyer Lemons. If she'd heard of them, she would no doubt have grown them, and quite well at that. :D

Meyer Lemons are an outdoor breed here in the Bay Area. They taste absolutely terrific. Lemonade? Lemon curd? Lemon-meringue pie? Lemon sauce over gingerbread?

They're great in all these applications, and more besides.

Just as an experiment, I purchased an alleged Bearss Lime at a moving sale for my former across-the-street neighbor. It was in a large (20 inches across?) container, and I kept it there. Boy, is it an unhappy plant...:( It throws one or two fruit a year, has incredible long, strong, and nasty thorns, and is currently suffering chlorosis. I'm getting to the "make or break" point with this plant...I'd like to have a containerized Meyer Lemon, but I just don't know if I can give it what it needs in a container vs. the ground.

Maybe in Florida you'll have better luck. My particular yard runs 5 to 10 degrees cooler than even our next-door neighbors, due to a large redwood tree, a very large carport, and other physical factors, so heat is in short supply...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sweet thunder

I bought a plant last year and it's surviving, but it's not really thriving.

I'm finding it to be very fussy about things like water and temperature and sun, even though my conditions should be good (same zone as Cynthia on a protected south-facing patio).

It dropped all its leaves over the winter. It has grown new ones, but they're getting munched by leaf-rollers. It is finally blooming well, but has yet to set any fruit this year.

Considering that it was not a cheap plant, I'm not terribly impressed.

applestar
Mod

In catalogs and on-line sources, I see Meyer's Lemon and Improved Meyer's Lemon. I've always wanted a lemon tree, but I don't have a good indoor environment for winter months. Other two lemon varieties I've seen are Ponderosa -- huge fruits but with thik pithy skin? -- and variegated lemon.

I bought some Meyer's lemons at the grocery store -- Whole Foods or Trader Joe's -- and they tasted different from the usual lemons, sweeter? more floral?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

was up visiting some friends farm in the nc mountains a couple days ago, they've got both a meyer and a ponderosa in pots in the greenhouse...can't get the meyer to produce, but 30+ little ponderosas on the tree...not exactly a citrus production area, either.

momo
Cool Member

The Meyer Lemon is a cross between a lemon and an orange, so it tends to be larger, juicier, and sweeter than other lemons.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”