stvfarmboy

Pitting Cherries

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I did a search and didn't see anything.

What is the best way to pit cherries? My parents have a cherry pitter that you put the cherries into and turn the handle and it does it for you. I plan to get that from them next week but wasn't sure of the best way to go about it until that time. I have never actually pitted cherries by hand so I thought I would check here for any advice and tips anyone has to offer.

I may just pick some and store them in the fridge until I can get the pitter from them but wasn't sure how long they would keep and I may run out of fridge space before then.

Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've never tried these hints, because I just eat my cherries right off the tree. :lol:

I understand that you can unfold a paperclip, so that the smaller curve is on one end and the larger curve on the other. Insert one end into the stem end of the cherry and "hook" the pit out. Apparently some use a crochet hook to do the same thing.

I've heard others recommend that you pound a clean nail into a board, then push the cherry down onto it to pop out the pit.

I've also heard the pits can be removed by inserting a sturdy plastic drinking straw into the stem end of the cherry and pushing the pit out the other end.

I doubt these are methods you'd want to use for large amounts of cherries. :wink:

paul t

You can freeze the cherries and they come out just fine. I sometimes just toss a bag in the freezer staight off the tree to eat as frozen snacks in the heat. I've eaten them all before a couple weeks pass so don't know how long they last. For storage, we pit them, set em on a cookie sheet until they freeze solid then vacuum bag them. Will last over a year. Note though, they when used they will be a bit more watery, but still taste the same.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I just squeeze them by hand into a large bowl. It is quite messy with juice everywhere. But this is more effective for me than the cherry pitter utensil I bought.

stvfarmboy

Thanks for the help! Last year I froze them after pitting but wasn't sure how they would do with the pits in them.

I plan to get a pitter from my parents this weekend and then next week I will spend lots of time pitting and freezing cherries.

Return to “All Other Fruit”