Michaelh
Newly Registered

Fearing naked lemon trees

First time poster here. Thanks for reading this.
I planted several dwarf Eureka lemon trees about two month ago. Everything seemed fine, but now the leaves are turning yellow and dropping. My thought is that I've over watered them. The veins of the leaves are green and the rest is turning yellow. There is no curling or spotting on the leaves. Am I right in assuming that all the leaves that are now just starting to yellow will die/fall? Can I reverse the process?

All the trees are filled with buds and tiny lemons.

What have I done wrong and how can I correct the problem?

Details: Trees are in direct sun almost all day in Los Angeles
I watered them twice a week for the first month or so, then decreased it to once a week when I noticed some yellowing.

Thanks for your help.
--Mike

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Are you watering with city water? Too much chlorine can cause chlorosis. Could be a mineral or nutrient deficiency as well. Try water that has sat in a bucket for at least a day, with a recommended rate of chelated iron and a teaspoon of epsom salts. Let me know if that helps green it up...

Scott

Michaelh
Newly Registered

Thanks, Scott. I'll try that. Yes, I have been using city water which I assure you I wouldn't drink. It literally smells like a swimming pool. This might confirm that they were meant to be MY lemon trees!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hmmm...get a garbage can, fill it with water (use the cover so mosquitoes can't breed and water from that (use a can or a utility pump). 24 hours and the chlorine degasses...You've killed all your soil flora as well, so compost and even mycorhizal supplements would be good...

Scott

Return to “All Other Fruit”