garcaj

Unhappy blackberry

Good day, all~
I puchased a small but mature blackberry plant that already had a few small fruits on it. None at the store were available without small fruit.
It seemed happy enough in the store pot but some of the fruit was beginning to ripen. I chose a sunny location with good soil, etc. and the plant has been in the ground for about a week now. However, it now looks unhappy as it is dropy and much of the foliage is turning yellow. This variety is the Apache thornless.
I have not before grown blackberries (or any fruit, for that matter) and do not know what the trouble could be. I have not found much information online. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? :?
Many thanks and a beautiful day to all.

Pebbles

I have read somewhere, possibly on this forum that blackberry bushes can grow in any soil, even when very dry. If you forget to water they will survive so I tend to think they are very hardy fruits. However, by the sound of it yours is sick.

I don't know the answer but my thoughts are that if they can survive with hardly any watering, are you over watering it?

Why not go back to where you purchased it and ask one of the professionals there for advice.

Good luck.

garcaj

Hello and thanks for your thoughts.
Over watering may be the culprit as I have watered it well everyday. It is very hot, dry and windy out here. I couldn't be certain as I water everything else everyday, too, and all seems ok. I was watering the plant everyday when it was in the store pot and it was fine.
:?:

Pebbles

I think that the store pot would have had drainage holes in the bottom for any water to escape. However, when you water soil, soil retains the moisture and cannot drain away as quickly. Just a thought.

I have two blackberry bushes in my garden. One is a few years old and tries to take over next doors (neighbour's garden as well :wink: ) The other, my brother brought me a few weeks ago and even that is trying to take over.

I hope some of the other guys can help but in the meantime, water minimally or once or twice a week and see if the little fellow recovers.

Again... good luck.

Return to “All Other Fruit”