Sybil_Vimes(4a)

At Last! My strawberry plants are flowering and fruiting!

Yesterday, my strawberries were still flowerless when I went out to weed. And I *know* they didn't have flowers because I was weeding directly underneath the plant.

But today, 24 hours later, not only do I have blossoms (a half dozen or so), but I have a growing strawberry!! My strawberry plants are flowering and fruiting at last!

So far it's only one of the Ozark Beauty plants, but I'm hoping the other Ozark Beauty and the All-Star will follow the first one's lead and that we'll have strawberries this summer after all :) Lots of strawberries! I have 2 dozen brand new canning jars just *waiting* for jam, salsa, and other stuff.

Sybil Vimes

Sybil_Vimes(4a)

I'm replying to myself to note that a couple days ago, my All-Star started producing flowers and berries also. At the moment (if birds etc don't get them), right now we have 12 strawberries in various stages on two plants. None of them are ripe, yet.

(and later this summer we're going to have a gazillion cantaloupes . . . )

Sybil Vimes, who makes a point of emphasizing the 'right now' bit because every time I go out to the garden the tomatoes have gotten new babies, the rasberries are getting visibly taller, etc. A few hours from now could be totally different!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

How exciting! :D I know what you mean: the first day any potato plants started showing, there were only two little plants poking above the soil.

I looked the next day and there were six! And then I stopped counting! But all of my fingerlings have come up and none (yet...) of my Yukon Golds.

It's also fun when you discover a tomato / pea pod / green bean that had hidden under a leaf, and it's already halfway finished by the time you first see it. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “All Other Fruit”