lilthings

Starting fruit trees from seeds??

Hi, My grandson age 7, (been helping me with plants since he was 4) goes though the supermarket, and picks out fruits ( watermelon, now cherries ) he wants, only he does not want to eat them he wants the seeds to grow a plant. So everyone else eats the fruit, and give him the seeds. which he gives to me to grow.

[size=18]Ok my question is how do I start a plant from seeds of cherries.[/size]

applestar
Mod

TheLorax posted an incredibly detailed instructions here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8318

But from what I can see, the easiest way would be to sink a pot of well drained potting soil in a good garden bed where it will receive consistent moisture throughout the year without getting flooded, especially in the winter/spring thaw months, and plant your seeds in there. Hopefully, you'll have a seedling next spring.

I can tell you that I have volunteer wild cherries (from bird offerings) growing in well drained garden beds near downspouts. I can also tell you that last summer, I planted peach pits in a large plastic nursery pot (3 gal size) of potting soil nestled on the surface of my Shade Garden area that is always kept moist during the growng season and gets spring flooded -- there's 1 peach seedling growing now. :D

I've set up a garden beds for my 7 yr old and my 10 yr old. They pick what they want to grow -- I let them choose out of selections of seeds, transplants, and bedding plants suitable for their garden (often they end up with the BEST looking ones, but I won't complain :roll: . They go through spurts of wanting to take care of their garden and "too busy playing." But they're proud of THEIR strawberries and peas, carrots, and flowers. :wink:
For a treat and a surprise, I've planted a chocolate flower in each garden. I can't wait for them to flower and see if they REALLY smell like chocolate! :D

lilthings

But he does not want to start from seeds, I have asked him what seeds he wants, He does not want to shop for seeds until he is going though a supermarket. :lol: . But I would be interested in the choclate plant. I could plant it near the mint, then I would have "MInt choclate" :?

But ok I will try what you suggested. Thank You.

Return to “All Other Fruit”