dina

Strawberries not blossoming

Hi,
I have a garden full of strawberries,scatered all over the place but they did not blossom! They grow like weed and I don't know what should I do with them ?Should I wait longer for them to blossom?
Thanks for advise.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Do you know what kind they are? Strawberries are mainly two kinds called everbearing or june bearing. The everbearing produce their crop a little at a time over a long season. The june bearing produce them all at once, usually in (guess! :) ) June. But I'm sure there could be a little variability in that, so if you have the June bearing ones, maybe they will still come through for you.

Other thoughts would be have you been fertilizing? Fertilizing them in the spring can cause them to grow lots of leaves but little or no fruit.

Are you sure they are edible strawberries (have they produced fruit in the past)? There are some ornamental varieties out there, that don't fruit.

Otherwise, I don't know...

Pebbles

Hi

I have heard or read somewhere long ago that strawberries only fruit for so many years and not for ever. I'm not sure how many years (3 comes into mind for some reason). If you have had these plants a while, maybe they will no longer produce and you may have to buy new ones.

Maybe somebody else might have heard about this.

Sybil_Vimes(4a)

My strawberries aren't producing flowers either. They are producing shiny, huge green leaves like crazy (and even a runner or two, and tons of new growth) but no flowers!

I have heavy clay soil that I amended with plain old potting soil and mushroom compost, it's clay but it drains quite nicely.

I have 1 All-Star, 2 Ozark Beauties, and 1 Quinalt. I also have a Honeoye that is currently coming back from the dead, but I don't expect flowers on that one this season -- it has enough to do to get leaves and become a real plant!

I bought some 10-10-10 fertilizer the other day and sprinkled it lightly, thinking that maybe they were missing something, but aside from growing even MORE leaves, they haven't really responded.

Anybody know how to get my strawberries to produce flowers? This is my first time with these strawberries in a patch. Last year, I had a TriStar variety in a pot and we had a dozen berries already by this time -- and it was that plant's first year too! All the plants are new this year in my patch.

Thoughts?

Sybil Vimes

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

A strawberry patch has to be well established to blossom flowers, in fact it may take several years. On the third year I think it is (after they have sent out a ton of runners) will they flower and produce fruit. This year is the third year or so for me and they are flowering and forming strawberries like mad. Just give them some time. If you have had strawberries on those plants before then like someone stated the plant may be done and newer plants will have to be purchased, or collect some runners (daughter plants) and see what happens on those in future years. For next spring re-plant them maybe in a raised bed with some good organic compost, that should get them going.

Return to “All Other Fruit”