5adamdd
Newly Registered

Raspberry bushes

So as a "gift" in a newly planted perrenial garden I got the bonus of what I thought were picky weeds. Much to my surprise, and frankly delight, I got raspberry bushes! And, they bore fruit within a year. It was great to have that fruit but oh my gosh those vines! So as I'm trying to figure out what I can cut and what I shouldn't. They are growing beautifully this year and there are so many blossoms I just can't wait to see the amount of fruit I get this year. I've already bought a wooden trellis to install and coax the vines around but the vines are choking out my perrenials which is causing me some distress. So help please? What should I trim? When? The bushes, last year, seemed to bear fruit twice, once in early summer and again in the fall if that helps at all in determing the type. nThanks in advance!

lbandbuggy
Newly Registered

They sound like everbearing bushes. After the fall harvest the vines can be cut back to about 2 inches above the ground, but they will only fruit once a year then, in the fall. You can leave the vines after the fall harvest, and you will get a small yield in the spring/early summer on the old growth leftover from the fall, but personally, for me, I don't get nearly enough berries (and what I do get are very small) to make the mess of vines worth dealing with. I would much rather my raspberry patch look nice and clean and healthy all summer, with nice berries in the fall.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Well reasoned... 8)

HG

Return to “All Other Fruit”