cynicalbrat79

Small Strawberries - Also Looking for Aphid Remedy

Seriously my Strawberries are looking tiny and pitiful, any secrets to increase their growth size and production? I have two big (deep) pots with 3 plants each, and kept nicely watered with good drainage, I live in chicago suburbs and the pots are in full sun. I am also looking for some remedies for those annoying little green bugs (aphids?) Any help is appreciated!
Kate

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Re. aphids: 1) squash them; 2) use a SOAP (not detergent) spray on them; 3) use an insecticidal SOAP spray on them.

Not all at once...but if there are only a few aphids, the smooshing technique will work. If you can't get all of them, then move up to soap.

On sturdier plants, you can drive aphids off with jets of water. You would need to use pinpoint precision on strawberries, though, out of care for the plants.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Itry

Ladybugs eat aphids for dinner, you buy some and release them where your having trouble and everyone wins =]

BUT... If you only have a few, squashing will work fine =]

cynicalbrat79

Actually I have what seems like a ba-zillions of them, I think between me and my bug squishing armada (3 small kids) we'd still need some help dispite their (the kids) enthusiasm. Non detergent soap you say, eh? Can I use liquid dish soap? or like the run off from a dove bar? does the soap affect the taste of the berries? Eeeek, no one ever claimed I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, but thanks. Also Ladybugs were suggested, will they do any damage to my other plants/garden? I don't want to have any of the "we have a problem and lets fix it with what becomes another problem, problem"

Oh BTW any suggestions on improving the strawberries size and production?

IndorBonsai

I use Neem oil on even the most sensitive Bonsai I own. It seems to kill or chase away those pesky little bugs, without damaging my trees. It is a oil so you will probably want to rinse off your fruit before eating it.

As far as trying to grow larger fruit, I believe adding more nitrogen to your soil might help.
But wait for others on this thread that know more about this than I do to answer, Before you do anything. :)

Itry

cynicalbrat79 wrote:Actually I have what seems like a ba-zillions of them, I think between me and my bug squishing armada (3 small kids) we'd still need some help dispite their (the kids) enthusiasm. Non detergent soap you say, eh? Can I use liquid dish soap? or like the run off from a dove bar? does the soap affect the taste of the berries? Eeeek, no one ever claimed I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, but thanks. Also Ladybugs were suggested, will they do any damage to my other plants/garden? I don't want to have any of the "we have a problem and lets fix it with what becomes another problem, problem"

Oh BTW any suggestions on improving the strawberries size and production?
Ladybugs will NOT do damage to your garden. They will generally eat all the aphids and leave to find more bugs to eat once your problem is done. Thats why ladybugs are exalted among farmers.
Ladybugs are carnivores!

cynicalbrat79

the addvice is apprecated thanks! I will do a bit of research on the nitrogen too!
~kate

Return to “All Other Fruit”