kylie77

When to plant out strawberries, started from seed

I started a bunch of strawberry plants a couple of months ago now. They're growing really nicely and have a few sets of leaves on them. They're still very tiny though. They're in the peat pellets and the roots are only just coming through the bottom. They're outside pretty much all the time now so are definately hardened off. I'm wondering when I should move them from the pellets. Should I put them into small pots now? They're still so small, so I'm not sure. I could put them right into their permanent homes, but with them being so small I'm not sure it's time yet.

Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not too late yet, but I wouldn't wait too much longer. Get them in and make sure it is somewhere you can contain; raised bed or stone bordered or such, as the runners can get away from you even in a mowed lawn.... Don't expect too much this year, but it'll be much better next...

HG

kylie77

Great thanks. I'll get them out once we get a break from the rain :(. I'm not expecting much this year. I also bought some bigger plants, so I'm not worried about getting anything from them this year. It's been interesting watching them grow though!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bigger plants mean a better shot at fruit this year, so there's that...

Good Luck!

HG

Return to “All Other Fruit”