Pebbles

Wimberries

Years ago when I was a little girl. Mum used to buy wimberries from the grocery store. They were always in a huge punnet and were very small and round and purple in colour.

Nowadays, we can't buy wimberries over here.

Some say that blueberries is another name for a wimberry but it really isn't anything like it.

Does anybody know where I can purchase a wimberry bush or can anybody tell me whether they are known under another name?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I found this article--

https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20000812/ai_n14321595/

on an Internet search.

Perhaps whortleberry or bilberry bushes are offered for sale in local nurseries?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Pebbles

Cynthia_h - I love you... :clap:

I have not had chance to read it all but the first few lines told me that I just might find my wimberry afterall!!
You have no idea how long I have searched to find something about wimberries.

Have you ever tried them? If you have, you will never forget the taste and experience. Your mouth would turn purple and so would you lips (no good to eat before a good night out ha!

Thanks honey bun! Tomorrow morning, without fail, I will be reading and reading and reading this. Thanks a million!

Pebbles

Just to let you know honey - I have been able to locate a company (from your down load - thanks) that can deliver (by post) bilberries. I have read everything that was available to me and I believe that the Bilberry Bush gives Wimberry Fruit - all new learning for me.
Anyway, I said to my dear husband (hubby) that I have to have these plants (whether they are the real wimberry or not) I have to give this a try and so in another half an hour we can ring them by telephone and order.

I am going to order 3 plants (with postage and packaging that will cost 20 pounds) I am very willing to go with this.

Infact, if these plants do turn out to be the wimberries of Christmases gone past..... I will bake you a wimberry pie, freeze it and package it so tight and send it fragile (next day delivery) and so your wimberry pie will be delicious and fresh for you.

Thanks ever so much!!!!

You have to remember though, that these plants are so small, it might be next year before they give the fruit required to make these lovely crumbles and pies :wink:

Return to “All Other Fruit”