Lazieninjafrog

Peach pits poisonous? I'm confused

We're going to plant some peach tree starts, from (our own) peach tree. I've been hearing lots of things about how they are grafted and won't be peach trees, or about how if they are pollinated by some other tree, they won't be true to type either.

And now I've heard that the pits are poisonous? we've had them in the compost all year now, and the lettuce and everything seems to be doing fine. And yeah, they started in the compost, we just dug them out. We were going to plant them today. But now I'm wondering if the tree its self is gonna be poisonous. And if all this stuff is true, then how in the world are the nurserys and such growing and selling these. I mean this is how they did it in the old days. <<

Any help at all, I'm really confused now. :?:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

You may enjoy this link.

https://www.bukisa.com/articles/27118_10-most-popular-food-plants-that-contain-poisontoxin

damethod

Hendi, Looked interesting, but the link didn't work properly for me.

As for growing your own peach tree...yes what you heard about grafting is correct. Most fruit trees, ESPECIALLY THE ONES AT THE GROCERY STORE, are grafted to ensure good quality crops. Fruit trees grown from seed are alot like us. You never know what your going to get when you have a baby. Could have light or dark hair, light or dark eyes, etc etc. The same goes for seeds.

Grafting basically involves taking the branch from one tree and fusing it onto a seedling of the same type. Example...a branch from a neighbor's fruit tree fused onto your new seedlings. This is the only way that you can be sure that you will have the exact same fruit. It also will ensure that you have fruit in less than 5 years.

Without grafting, your tree can take from 5-15 years to produce fruit and only then will you know IF it was worth it.

Do a search for "grafting fruit trees" or just "grafting" and you'll find lots of information and instructional videos.
Last edited by damethod on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

damethod

Oh, and the pitt is poisonous to us when ingested. So don't eat it! :D

Alot of great fruit plants have parts that are toxic. Avocado leaves can be toxic. Some fruit seeds can be toxic if swallowed. Etc etc

Return to “All Other Fruit”