BeachGirl
Newly Registered

Tayberries

Does anyone know what these are? I've called a quite a few nurseries in the area and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. Is there maybe another name for them? I won't be planting them until the fall, but I'd like to try to find out where I can get some tayberry canes so I can start getting my plans ready.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

don't know 'em myself, but wikipedia has this:

The Tayberry is a cultivated shrub in the genus Rubus of the family Rosaceae bred in 1962 from a cross between a Blackberry and the red Raspberry at the Scottish Crops Research Institute, Invergowrie, Scotland, by Derek Jennings and David Mason. The fruit is sweeter, much larger, and more aromatic than that of the Loganberry, of similar origin. It is grown for its edible fruits which can be eaten raw, or cooked to make jam or other dishes, with a cropping period from early July to mid-August. It is named after the River Tay in Scotland.

couldn't tell you where to find them, though.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

"Anastasia Wyeberry
Wyeberries are a cross between eastern and western blackberries with red raspberry hybrids and native species. They separate as blackberries and are very similar to Tayberries, although Wyeberries are much more productive and upright here in the Mid-Atlantic states. The dark-red fruit is very flavorful, cohesive, relatively firm and very large. The plants are moderately thorny, vigorous and more cold hardy than Tayberry Zones 6-8."

here's a link: [url]https://www.ediblelandscaping.com/plants.php?func=showall[/url]

search for berries. Lots of varieties available.

BeachGirl
Newly Registered

petalfuzz wrote:"Anastasia Wyeberry
Wyeberries are a cross between eastern and western blackberries with red raspberry hybrids and native species. They separate as blackberries and are very similar to Tayberries, although Wyeberries are much more productive and upright here in the Mid-Atlantic states. The dark-red fruit is very flavorful, cohesive, relatively firm and very large. The plants are moderately thorny, vigorous and more cold hardy than Tayberry Zones 6-8."

here's a link: [url]https://www.ediblelandscaping.com/plants.php?func=showall[/url]

search for berries. Lots of varieties available.

Thanks so much!

Return to “All Other Fruit”