mjht76
Newly Registered

HELP WITH STRAWBERRY PATCH

I have a strawberry patch that has established it self really well. However there is also alot of very established grass. I kepp pulling and pulling and its never ending...any thoughts on how I can make the grass die and not my strawberries?!

applestar
Mod

Mulch? Water the bed well, then wherever there are no strawberry plants, lay
(1) 1 or 2 layers of plain brown paper bags (no ink) + weed seed free compost or grass clippings + straw
or
(2) Weed seed questionable compost or grass clippings + brown paper bag + straw

Where grass is growing WITH the strawberry plants, all I can suggest is to keep pulling'em -- easiest right after rain or watering well. Once strawberry foliage gets really lush, they can usually shade out most weeds....

mjht76
Newly Registered

Thanks! I just spent 40 minutes pulling grass this evening. My hands are sore!!! I need to remember to bring gloves. LOL

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Weeds in a strawberry patch are one thing, but grass that runs both above and below ground is next to impossible. One possible solution is to start a raised bed or solarize a spot such that the bed contains no grass. Make sure that you have some border or barrier that prevents the grass from encroaching around the edges. Then be vigilant, making sure than no grass ever gets a foothold in the bed.

From what I understand, strawberry beds like to be renewed every three or four years. Am not sure if that means with new plants or not, but I generally just set runners over gallon pots of dirt and let them form transplants for the new bed. Perhaps you will want to consider fighting the grass this season, but at the same time solarize a fresh spot or prepare a new raised bed. Let your existing plants make enough runners to fill the new location this coming fall. Then next year you will be ahead of the game, rather than constrantly trying to play catch up against that pesky grass.

applestar
Mod

Well, you're probably right that starting to plan for a new patch is a good idea, but I've been able to keep the grass down in my strawberries this way. Another method I use is to let vetch grow between the strawberries. I was concerned that the berry production would be stunted, especially when the vetch got away from me, got overgrown, and started shading the strawberries, but it's had the opposite effect. :D I guess the "green manure" nitrogen fixing effect of the vetch did work in their favor. :wink:

Oh, when I'm finally ready to roll up my sleeves and yank that vetch, I do it when the soil is dry so I don't pull out the roots, and lay the greens around the strawberries as mulch. I also "let" some of them go to seed. 8)

Return to “All Other Fruit”