minu

care for mature apricot tree

Hello,

Total novice at any kind of gardening so need quite a bit of help.
I have an apricot tree that is probably close to 9-10yrs old. In the past 6yrs that we have had the property, it has varying quantities of fruit every year (the birds usually get to them though). The tree used to be on the lawn(with poor watering) all these years and we never did anything much in the way of watering or fertilizing. My questions are:

1) We have cut back our lawn and now the tree is no longer on the lawn. How much should I be watering it through the spring/summer season?
2) The flowers are just beginning to bloom and some leaves are sprouting. Should I be adding any organic plant food?
3) Are there any tricks to saving the fruit from the birds while it ripens on the tree? My DH tries to 'bag' them with grocery bags but I am not too sure if that is correct.

Any help is appreciated. I am in Sunset zone 17

Thanks
Minoti

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You did the tree a big favor in removing the lawn; less water competition and the biology that supports lawn (more bacterial) is not what trees want (more fungal). A layer of good compost will add beneficial organisms, stimulating natural nitrogen cycling; composted manure should provide much of the nutritional needs for the year. A layer of evergreen bark mulch over that (not nuggets) will help preserve soil moisture, and help stimulate a more fungal environment, supporting the symbiotic fungii that help your tree gather water and nutrients deeper in the soil. You trees will need less water grown organically like this...soil actually provides all the foods a plant needs when it is alive. Sterilize soil and you have to start worrying about fertilizers...

As for birds, try inflatable or rubber snakes in the branches. Birds hate snakes...

HG

minu

Thanks much. Will do that to the tree. Am guessing same strategy should be applied to Apple and Orange trees (those are the other ones that I removed from the lawn).

Snakes!!! Shudder....I don't like them either but thats a great idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Minoti

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not my idea (I wish), saw the inflatable snakes in an organic catalogue I get, for just this purpose...

BIG 10-4 to doing the other trees. What I said about tree biologies is not particular to apricots but all trees. Evergreens are even more reliant on soil symbiotes, with fungal nets comprising nearly 100% of soil biology in boreal forest and taiga. Live soil means live plants...

HG

Catmom
Newly Registered

I have a peach tree that doesn't have any grass beneath it, just some rock mulch on one side and dirt (plus weeds) on the other.

I planted a couple bleeding hearts beneath it, and I've also planted some lily-of-the-valley. I figured they'd like the shade the peach tree gives.

Are these okay companion plants for the tree? Should I also spread some compost beneath the tree?

When the blossoms don't get hit by frost (like this year :( ), it's a heavy producer.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Should be fine, and adding a compost top dressing won't hurt any of the above...

HG

Return to “All Other Fruit”