Curly

Quince?

I've lived in North America for 16 years and never even knew the english word for this tree that is popular in my native Switzerland. It's fruit makes the best jelly in the world! I figured it didn't exist over here, but yesterday I saw it in a garden magazine and it got me very exited. I want a quince tree! Question is, does it grow in my zone (2b, brrrr) and where can I find such a plant?

damethod

Here is one company that carries the tree.

https://www.willisorchards.com/category/Quince+Trees

I've purchased two plants from this web site before. Navaho Blackberry and an Ice Cream Banana tree. Both are growing well right now.

Try a google search for "quince tree" and you should find more varities and info.

damethod

Found another web site that sells quince trees. They carry 5 varieties.

https://www.tytyga.com/category/Quince+Trees

I have to warn you though...the site is by far the weirdest nursery site I have ever seen!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Willis would be a much better bet than the other site. I looked at their site and I'm not sure (based on the ads) that it's a "family" site, if you get what I mean.

Quince is terrific! My mother-in-law used to have a small quince tree until it blew down 10 or so years ago. DH and I would pick the fruit every October or so and make jelly out of it.

That was the *very best* jelly...wow!

A few months ago, I just couldn't stand the absence of quince in my life, so we went to the farmers' market during quince season and bought four of them. We cooked 2 into a meat dish and made a dessert with sauce out of the other 2.

If you like quince, you will LOVE having a quince tree! Good luck.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Also take a look at Trees of Antiquity, recommended by a local arborist:

www.treesofantiquity.com

They offer 3 varieties of heirloom quince trees. One is sold out for this year, but the other 2 are still available.

cynthia

damethod

LOL I found the site to be really funny. At first I thought it was some nudist colony web site. I think David Blaine runs it. LOL!

Curly

Thanks guys! I did some more research and one place that sells quince trees has them marked for Zone 5. :cry: Hopefully I can find a variety that is more hardy. Wouldn't matter for length of growing season, I think, since they can ripen after they have been picked.

Return to “All Other Fruit”