reenboogs
Newly Registered

How and when do I prune my 1 year old lemon tree?

Hi,

Last year I planted a lemon seed and have watched it grow. Until now ive just been pleased to see it growing as id seen so many articles that said it wouldn't!!
I do know that it needs pruning but have never prunned anything before and the thought of it scares me!
Can anyone tell me when you should prune and what to do?

My tree is 22 inches (56cm) high.

Thanks
Danni

pd

Hello Danni, here is my outline on pruning to form a shapely lemon bush. For finer detail I would advise further reading specifically for citrus.

Let it get to at least around 100cm in height and then prune it back to approx 60cm from the soil surface and immediately above a leaf. It will then produce laterals which should be reduced to 3. When these grow sufficiently prune each back to 25-30cm. Laterals will in turn grow from these and they need to be prune back by a around a third of their length where doing so you can see that it will form a balanced bush shape. All subsequent growths are tip pruned annually.

reenboogs
Newly Registered

Thankyou very much for your reply, it was very helpfull. I was worried I was too late!
Thanks again
Danni

damethod

Citrus trees do not need pruning.

"With few exceptions, citrus trees will develop and maintain their natural shape with little or no training or pruning." - from University of Florida Horticultural web site. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS118

Do a little research and you will see that most do not recommend pruning of citrus under normal circumstances.

If you would like to do it for aesthetic reasons, by all means prune away.

pd

The choice is yours. Leave it entirely alone and see what shape of bush or tree you end up with, or prune it initially and form a balanced shape.

relentlesstech
Newly Registered

I have to prune mine back [ I am growing my lemon in a 4' x 6' x 4' closet ], and I need to keep the lemon within the space confinements - That's really the only reason you should prune is if space is an issue ;)

Return to “All Other Fruit”