Greener Thumb

A new use for extra pumpkins...

I never heard of this one before!

Brew your own BEER with pumpkins!

https://byo.com/departments/816.html

:lol: :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yep, I've gotta say that's a first for me too!! I guess there is no end to what people will try! :lol:
VAL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting. I guess that is yet one more use for those magical fruits that we call pumpkins!

Incidentally, most people think of pumpkins as decorations and decorations alone but, pumpkins are really yummy when eaten and one cup of pumpkin contains 40 percent of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pumpkin brews (usually ales) are all the rage; I know of at least five different brewing companies that are offering one...

Hey if you are growing pumpkins, then why not hops? Easy to grow; vigorous vines suitable for a pergola...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Incidentally, there is a plethora of pumpkin varieties out there; I bought one this year that is white with orange speccles. It's flesh was yummy but, my favourite would have to be these tiny pumpkins that a local farm sells, they are about the size of an apple but, found and they keep forever. Great for soups, in mashed potatoes, in bread and so and so forth.

Furthermore, used pumpkins (ie. Jack o Lanterns, et. al) are great in the compost as they break down really quickly and the bacidiomycetes expel spores out to 10 m away (if I remember correctly) therefore spreading more composting organisms around.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

AH there's a cultivar called 'Sugar Baby' that sounds just like what you are talking about....

Scott

Return to “All Other Fruit”