novice1
Newly Registered

My watermelon vines grow up, not out!

Hi all, first may I state that I am a complete novice in the garden. As a Christmas holiday project for my daughter of 11 years, we planted some watermelon seeds for her to look after until they reached fruition.

The packet said that from germination until harvest we would expect to wait 12 weeks. Well it is at least 8 weeks now, and the 6 surviving plants are remarkably different in size. None of them even remotely resemble vines.The biggest and healthiest two of the plants stand 30cm (12") tall.

We have planted them in the sunniest portion of our garden and they enjoy full sun from about 10am until sunset, around 8.00pm currently. We have tried to encourage growth with both blood and bone and water soluble plant food. I don't think that at their rate of growth, we can expect them to bear any fruit. We have watered them as much as we dare, given the water restriction nazis.

I will post a photo in the morning, too dark just now.

novice1
Newly Registered

Well today has been forecast to be an absolute scorcher - 45 C (113F) The taller of the plants appeared to droop over and I noticed a tendrill growing out of one of the stems this morning:

here are the 30 cm plants [img]https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/david290361/Tallplants.jpg[/img]

And here are two of the shorter plants:[img]https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/david290361/Shortplants.jpg[/img]

Does anyone think they'll fruit? (Solar lights to provide scale)

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Those are still practically seedlings, to my eyes. My bush watermelon vines got to be 4-5' long, and regular watermelon vines get to be twice that. My date to maturity for the bush watermelons was 80 days, and I got my first ripe fruit 89 days from transplant (so it was already a few weeks old). If you still have 90 days in your growing season, you might get a fruit or two. Don't give up hope! Make sure you water enough too, esp with heat that hot!

novice1
Newly Registered

Thanks Carolyn,

That is what I'd hoped to hear. Another hot one forecast for today. I read on another website not to use nitrogen rich fertilisers (blood and bone) as while vines grow well, they don't produce as many fruit as they could.

I'll get some manure today, cow or horse.

Cheers again.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I hope that manure is destined for the compost pile, and not destined for direct application to your plants.

It could contain weed seeds, pathogens, and who knows what--all of which will be dealt with via composting.

Plus, it could burn your little plants because it's so strong.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

novice1
Newly Registered

Cynthia,

Whoops ! Thanks for that tip. I would have killed the little blighters.

Unfortunately it's just too hot to be mucking about with compost heaps.
Instead I bought some dynamic lifter which is described on the packaging as being composted manure and fish meal (and a heap of other stuff) pelletised.

I'll give that a go.

novice1
Newly Registered

The two larger plants have started their sideways growth. They flopped over in the heat I think!

Return to “All Other Fruit”