jchristianson
Newly Registered

Scales on Citrus Trees

Hello! I am new to The Helpful Gardener and gardening in general so I would be greatful for any assistance with my little (well, reallllllly BIG)issue. I live in northern California and have several citrus trees (orange, grapefruit and lemon) on my property and they all are completely infested with scale.

I was told by a local nursery to spray them once a week until the infestation is gone with a year-round spray oil (Master Nursery is the manufacturer). However, I am not sure that it will work. I had this problem earlier in the summer and sprayed the single tree infested with the scale and now I have all my citrus trees infected.

Do I just keep spraying until winter hits? I read somewhere that I shouldn't treat the trees in the winter plus what will the continued spraying due to my immature fruit?

Anyway, I am afraid these pesky pests are going to suck the living daylights out of my trees if I cannot find some relief for them. By the way, the trees are mature trees so removing the scale by hand with alcohol would prove to be nearly impossible. Please--anyone have a suggestion????????????? Thank you for your interest. Dazed and Confused :?, Jamie Christianson

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here is a page from the University of California that has good information about the control of scale insects on citrus. You may have to introduce one or more of the predatory insects they mention. HTH! :)

ETA: Oops! Forgot to add the link! :oops:

https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107301611.html

jchristianson
Newly Registered

Kisal:

Thank you kindly for your help! I think the website is going to be very useful. The pictures identifying the different types of scale were great--I think my trees have California Red Scale (I am going to investigate further today). I guess all hope is not lost. Wish luck!! :D

Jamie

P.S. I will let you know you when I conquer the enemy!

superfleurs

Hi,

I just found this info on the following site:

https://www.greenharvest.com.au/greennotes/Organic_Citrus_Care.html

Moderators note: Scroll down approximately 1/3 of the page to locate the information regarding scale insects.

applestar
Mod

There are some super informative websites out of Australia, and this looks like one! :D Only thing is, I find it hard to wrap my head around the concept that their seasons are opposite ours in the Northern Hemisphere and have to constantly remind myself while reading specific instructions like these. :roll: :wink:

goombungin
Newly Registered

I find white oil works well on scale just don't use it in hot weather like above 30C you could burn the leaves

Return to “All Other Fruit”