Marge
Cool Member

Raspberries not growing.

Last year I planted some bare root stock raspberry canes (from a reputable supplier), but this year as the UK summer has been so rainy I have only had a few fruits.

The fruits taste fine and are disease free. I have spaced the canes out correctly and they are planted on in a south facing border next to a wall, in nice free draining soil. I have also protected them with mesh to keep the birds off - but the bees etc. can get in.

Is it just a case of bad weather that has caused so few fruits, or are the plants still too young?

8Mud

I planted mine north to south, with an apple tree to the east and a solid fence three feet high to the west. My raspberries tend to go up and bush at the top. I don't dig anywhere near the roots, I pull the weeds and put down a thin layer of compost every year. I pull out the dead canes in the spring, other than that I leave them alone. That is to say, I don't cut any canes not dead.
I have two six foot posts 20 feet apart and strong fence wire between them at two foot intervals, I sort and tie the canes (loosely) to the wires once or twice a year. I encourage them to go upwards. Laying the long canes horizontally on the top wire seems to encourage side shoots and increases the yield.
With a bit more sun I could probably increase my yield, but my plants seem prolific and healthy.
They actually seem to do better with some competition for the sun, either artificial or from the sister plants.

Return to “All Other Fruit”