JSeligstein
Newly Registered

Blueberries and Strawberries into winter?!

Hey folks. Early summer, I planted some Ornamental Strawberries and one blueberry plant. I don't really get enough sun for these, so I did research and chose the strands that seemed to do well with less sun or shade. Doing this with other plants yielded some success: I ended up with a bunch of tomatoe, jalapenos, and might get some peppers. All the plants are in pots. I've been feeding the blueberries acid-based plant food.

I didn't expect the blueberries to do too well, with the low sun. However, I was able to get a couple of cups worth of blueberries. Later in the season, some new growth on the plant occurred, producing some nice large green leaves.

Going into winter, the blueberry plant is starting to lose its leaves and turn brown. I want to make sure this plant does well through the winter. Can anyone give me some tips? I want to promote growth next season as well. Its still a very very small shrub.

Moving onto the strawberries. I didn't experience any growth on my strawberries all season. For two months, they remained green and perky and perhaps produced a runner or two. But no berries, no flowers, no real growth. In the last couple of weeks, all the runners have turned brown and fell onto the soil. The plants basically look dead. However, from what I read on the internet, you're supposed to cut the dead runners and the plant will do fine next season. Its hard to believe these plants aren't dead, but I can't find any "winter strawberry" pictures that convince me either way. So, does anyone know if they're dead? Or just the runners have died and need to be pruned? Is it worthwhile to try to keep these plants for next season, or should I just plant new ones?

Thanks for the help folks!

jdeb

Hi
Blueberries are deciduous whcih means they lose their leaves in winter so don't worry about their dropping off. If they cropped for you, then you are probably doing most things OK already

Return to “All Other Fruit”