Tey157
Cool Member

Japanese Persimmon tree

Here is a photo of my Japanese Persimmon tree. It is loaded with fruit. :)

[img]https://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee185/Dean_Wil/100_7286.jpg[/img]

Bren

How is the tree coming along? Are they the old fashioned astringent ones or the newer non astringent? I love the older ones myself, the flavor is so much more intense....

E noho rā,
Bren

Andy08
Newly Registered

G'day,

I have a fuji or some call it by fuyu (hard persimmon) and do not fruit well every year it fruits well every alternate year. I fertilise it with cow manure, complete fertilser and much and water regularly. I have been having this tree fuyujiro ( japanese variety) for nearly five years very healthy full of leaves . The new shoots come out just the end of winter and then follow the fruit buds. Last year I had about 60 fruit large ones the previous year 4 and the previous 19 but this year I could find only 5 fruit buds. I fear that this year I'll get only 5 fruits. :cry: I am hoping someone might have some suggestions as the nursery is no help :) what could be the cause or what is required to get it fruiting.

Tey157
Cool Member

Bren, all the fruit has been harvested. I believe it is the old fashioned astrigent type.

Andy, I haven't fertilized mine with anything. The only thing I put around it was some mulch to help keep the weeds down.

Bren

Well, if you have the old fashioned variety then thank your lucky stars. the newer ones I believe are so tasteless. I would have thought it would be too hot in Tx to grow persimmons. I was there in 2003 for a month, well not on Cedar Park but down close to Anderson Mill, and every day I was there it was so hot, over 100F...Man ya live in a Hot place...Oh, I do love ya thunderstorms! and Lakeline Mall...that is bigger than anything we got here in NZ

Tey157
Cool Member

Hey Bren,

Yes, I believe we get just enough chill hours to grow them here.

Anderson Mill is very close. In fact we just got back from Lakeline Mall. We went there to get a little excercise and look around. I guess the population down where you are dosen't warrant bigger shopping malls. :lol:

Return to “All Other Fruit”