smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Blueberry plants

I planted two blueberry plants this spring in pots. The PH was a bit high but I was able to get it down and the plants took off. They looked nice and green with no more spots and were actuall getting some good size to them for being planted this spring. Now out of the blue one of the plant's leaves all currled up and truned brown. The stems are still green and now I noticed the othe one is starting to do this. Did I loose it? :x What might of happen? This is my first time with blueberry plants so I'm at a lose as to what happen. Thoughts on how to save my other one?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know, but the same thing happened to 2 of my 3 blueberry shrubs this year. I trimmed off the dried/browned parts and they've been doing fine so far. I've never figured out what caused the browning/drying. I wasn't able to find any evidence of pests or diseases, so I'm baffled. :?:

jdeb

Sounds like they dried out.

Good luck

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Wow wonderful link. As much as it talks about watering I'm not thinking I didn't water mine enough. When I first got them I read something that talk about root rot if they had to much water. I'm guessing that only happens with staning water. Last night I saw one little green leaf left on the one plant so I'm hoping that is new growth. We've had a good amount of rain the past 2 days so I'm hoping that it survives. I'm sure glad I put in my rain barrel now since it talks about using rain water verses tap water.

SG6

Haven't read the link but I have one in a large pot and it gets watered twice a week. Read something years back that said blueberries and cranberries like similar environments, a peat bog.

I always use rain water and every so oftan I add a ericaceous fertiliser in as well. Adds nutrients and adds a bit of acidity.

It is doing well, just ask the plump biackbird that eats all the blueberries. :-()

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas but I think I found the problem. I I used someone elses PH tester and my soil was off the charts! The PH was so low the needle dropped like you wouldn't believe. I dug both plants out and soaked them in a bucket for rainwater and cleaned out the pots. Once I got a few inches down the dirt really stunk! I added a new mixture and washed off most of the dirt from their roots and replanted them I sure hop they survive. :cry:

I think what happen is when I got the pots ready this spring I had a hard time getting the PH below 7 so I added some stuff (I don't remember the name) to help to lower it. Well I guess I added way to much. :oops: This time I'm sticking with my more natural compost and pine needles to keep the PH down.

Return to “All Other Fruit”