Nocalkyle
Newly Registered

Verticillium in Strawberry bed

I found this forum searching for some info and it looks like a great place.

I have a 4'x8' raised bed that is dedicated to only Strawberries. This is the 3rd year, and the plants have not come out of winter well. Most plants have died off, and I have even re-planted about 8 starters which are dead/dying. They basically are turning brown and losing most of the leaves. There is no real established root system and they pull out very easily. I split open a couple of the roots and that is where I have come up with the Verticillium diagnosis.

My questions...
1) I have written off that individual planter box for the year. What should I do with the soil to make sure the Fungus doesn't spread or remain for next year?

2) Is there a concern that it will spread to other boxes?

Thanks,

Kyle

imafan26
Mod

Good sanitation. That includes tools, boots, hands. You can try solarizing the bed. If can kill some fungal spores if it gets hot enough. Either plant a non susceptible crop or cover crop after that.

Nocalkyle
Newly Registered

Do I need to remove the dirt to make sure it is gone? Can I just leave the dirt alone for the summer and make sure it gets no water... it gets up to 100 degrees here?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Verticilium is a devil to control without chemical imput. Like Red Core it really is best to sterilise the soil before replanting. ..or plant elsewhere.
Remember too that boots and digging equipment can transfer spores to clean areas. .zo was tools etc after use.

Return to “All Other Fruit”