Kwanjin
Newly Registered

new japanese garden

Hello, everyone. I just joined here and would like any and all suggestions for a japanese garden. I have some shade items in along the back of the house. (north side) Asilbes, ferns, hellebores, irish moss, carex. I have a dwarf weeping cherry, a small red maple, a buckthorn hedge, irises, money plants, lilac, fragant sumac and the like.

What I need are fast growing trees for more shade. The plants that are in, except on teh north side, are in full sun. We get temps that reach 100º several times a year. Temps have gotten to -10º in some years but not recently.

Any other suggestions for plants are welcome, especially for evergreens.

Thanks for your help. And is there a place to post pics?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Usually the best choice is to primarily use plants that are indigenous to your area. Large, fast growing trees would not typically be used within the garden per se but might found in adjoining areas to shade or shelter the garden.

Personally, I would not use any of the plants you list with the possible exception of the ferns and sedges. Look to the native environment for your inspiration. I would especially look for native pines that weather into interesting forms. You also need to pay attention to the local geology and landforms.

Kwanjin
Newly Registered

I already have the plants mentioned. They are doing well and growing just fine. Thank you for the tip on the natives, however.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”