pcride
Newly Registered

Help with Pruning Pine - Japanese rock garden!

Hi, I was wondering if someone would be able to explain to me the basic techniques of pruning this pine tree. We bought it last year during the fall and planted it, it seems to have latched on and is already growing. Its winter now in Utah and we want to start preparing our trees to build out the rest of our rock garden.

I have a few questions.

Some small tree branches are extending out past the "pads" and we need to cut them back to keep the tight shape. I have heard the term clouds or pads used. I have also heard that just cutting back the branch could kill the entire branch??

This spring we will cut back the candles about 3/4 the way or maybe half.

What I don't understand is how do you maintain these pines where it looks like a clean tight hair cut, and not messy with overgrowth distorting the shape of the pads?

Please see picture here

pcride
Newly Registered

Anyone?

AngelicaGray3409

Well, as I look at it, it seems to be a young tree which is still growing. Even if you cut at the places you chose, I'm almost certain that it won't have a better shape than now. But still, if you want it to have a better shape in the future, you should start taking care of it right away. I would recommend to cut down only dead twigs and branches at first. The places you marked on the second picture are fine. Except for that big piece you marked on the left. It's just too big.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”