gak1952
Newly Registered

Too late to plant Japanese Maples (Long Island USA Zone 7a)?

Hi,

I'm creating a Japanese maple garden. I'd like to plant a few more Japanese maples this fall, but I'm wondering if it's too late.

I live on Long Island in New York State about fifty miles directly east of New York City. I'm in US hardiness zone 7a. The temperature is in the high 50s to low 60s in the daytime and high 30s to low 40s at night.

I've yet to select the maples I will plant, but they will be a mixture of dwarfs and mounding maples about 3-5 gallons in size.

So, my question is, can I plant in the beginning of November or should I wait till next spring.

I thank everyone for their advice in advance.

I much appreciate your comments.

Graham

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I plant trees in the fall, just about every year.

Even a dormant tree can need supplimental water in drouth.

You are going to run into availablity issues though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welllll .... Fall is a good time to plant trees, but it does need to be early enough in fall that the tree can put down some roots where it is, before everything gets shut down.

I'm in zone 6 and where I am I would say it is too late. We have had below freezing temps the last four nights in a row. We get a warm up this coming week, but it is likely to be brief and the last one. But I looked up some Long Island weather info. Not only are your lows in the 40's for the whole ten day forecast, but the average low temp for the whole month of Nov. is 41. So given that, I would say yes, if you can plant NOW, you are under the wire, but I wouldn't wait a whole lot longer.

applestar
Mod

Yes, if you do plant now, make sure to water well then mulch heavily since maples are shallow rooted.

You will also want to surround them with rabbit wire or chicken wire fencing to protect from bunnies, or more elaborate protection from deer, if those animals come around.

gak1952
Newly Registered

Thanks for your comments. I much appreciate them.

I think I'm going to wait until the spring.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”