The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thank you Henrik. I was expecting to send you photos; same as expecting guests, neh? :)

You are correct in your assessment of the background situation; if you look back left you will see that I have planted Fargesia nitida which will change the background considerably in a few more years (3-4m tall and slighly weeping; it will add more shade as well). Along with the new fence and the Sasa I think the background issue will dissappear (literally!) 8) . The undeveloped bed on the right will probably just be an overflow for Hosta and Hakonechloa; assuming I get the tea house past the significant other (not assured) then it will be nearly dead space so I don't want to expend much money or effort there yet...

Again, just the first year, so the sabi is lacking, but it will come...

Scott

MrNorth
Cool Member

I'm sorry about all the posts, but I do lack the possibility to edit posts, perhaps you can add that?

anyway, I wanted to give you some more praise on how you made that rather squared edge deeper by using some perspective manipulation. What I refer to is that the scene start rather wide and then become more narrow as the eye moves towards the basin and lantern. That really make the scene feel deeper than it really is ;) A very simple technique, but very powerful when used correctly, like here :wink:

However, I'm not sure what your intention was with the front gravel... in a subtle way it could invoke a plane vector towards the basin, if you know what I mean... a horizontal force towards a specific location. Any more information on how you decided to do that would be interesting. :twisted:

And the lantern and basin, where did u buy them? Sadly no one in swden know about water basins... so I'm stuck with my manufactured one... However I found a really nice rock that I could make into a tsukubai. All I have to figure out is how to make the hole... ;)

/Henrik

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Mason bit for your drill and a stone chisel would work fine (lot of work but worth it)...

Both these pieces came from a D.C. disributor I run into at trade shows; he gets them from China (that lantern of yours looks very familiar, so check out ordering from them. I've seen the catalogs and it's all together).

You grasped the design concept very nicely. Wide flat plane across the front to gather the eye; negative space there (gravel) directs right into negative space on the left (moss and path). I also played with the perspective by changing the size of the stepping stones (smaller as they move away;) making the space appear larger... 8)

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”