cadmancan
Newly Registered

What kind of sand/gravel is used in Zen garden

I am having difficulty finding the kind of gravel/sand used in traditional Zen gardens (or at least suitable substitute). Can anyone please help with suggesting then name and grade of gravel typically used? I went to a couple of sand/gravel places and they didnt seem to have anything remotely resembling what I see in pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Cadmancan,

You would want a gravel that isn't smooth but has jagged edges as it will tend to stay put better. You'll also want something that is small. You may need to go to several stone places to find what you want. Consider the color you want as well. Often a whiter or silver gravel is used because of the stark contrast and tends to keep the eyes open. Earth tones are more restful, have less contrast and give a more intimate feel.

Newt

cadmancan
Newly Registered

Thank you for the reply. The problem I am having is finding specific types of gravel and grades. The books I have as well have read in the book store don't get into specifics. These books typically refer to the japanese names. Its funny that I go to these gravel places and when I ask I get these blank stares as if they have no idea what I am talking about. I wasnt aware of the jagged edges as opposed to smooth. Thanks for the help.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Glad that was helpful. I think the size you want is about 10 or 11 mil.

Newt

cadmancan
Newly Registered

Thanks! Much appreciated.

koiboy01

Hi,
The size you require is 8 to 10mm as this is the best size for rakking any smaller and it is like sand any larger and it will not rake properly and the colour you require is a grey/white I use limestone chippings in my Japanese garden you can view it here.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/zen_garden.htm
George.

watchtower
Newly Registered

cadmancan wrote:I am having difficulty finding the kind of gravel/sand used in traditional Zen gardens (or at least suitable substitute). Can anyone please help with suggesting then name and grade of gravel typically used? I went to a couple of sand/gravel places and they didnt seem to have anything remotely resembling what I see in pictures. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi. I've been in touch with a UK company (derbyshireaggregates.com) who were incredibly helpful. They confirm that the size of gravel normally used in Japan is 3 - 8mm. They supply smaller or larger sizes (in various colours) but this intermediate size is best for Zen gardens.

koiboy01

Hi,
Take it from someone who uses it 8mm to 10mm is the size you need.
George.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”