Piet Patings
Cool Member

Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

This year, with our first Frost damage due to minimum temperatures as low as -22,9 ...°C (-9.2F), growth of most plants, including the Pinus densiflora, Japanese Red Pine started a few weeks late.

However our Wisteria sinensis does not show any sign of live yet. This is how it looks now: [img]https://www.zen-garden.org/img/misc/Wisteria-sinensis-may-2012-IMG_0179.JPG[/img]

And this is our Wisteria sinensis may 2011
This year we have a new record. I roughly counted over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)
[img]https://www.zen-garden.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wisteria-sinensis-and-shumi-sen-IMG_4261.jpg[/img]

In the next couple of weeks we will hope and pray that this will not be a definitive separation...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh, it would be such a shame if such a beautiful plant didn't make it!

If you break a twig, is it green inside? If you slightly scratch the bark on the trunk is it green underneath? No to both would be bad news.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Well it has lots of small buts ... but these are from November last year and did not change....
Any twig I touch breaks with a snappy sound so I am not very positive.
My wife keeps faith !.

At the very bottom there of the main trunk there is still growth that may be a starting point for a second life ... but it will then take years to get to the stage it was in.

zvone

Piet Patings wrote:This year, with our first Frost damage due to minimum temperatures as low as -22,9 ...°C (-9.2F), growth of most plants, including the Pinus densiflora, Japanese Red Pine started a few weeks late.

However our Wisteria sinensis does not show any sign of live yet. This is how it looks now: [img]https://www.zen-garden.org/img/misc/Wisteria-sinensis-may-2012-IMG_0179.JPG[/img]

And this is our [Wisteria sinensis may 2011
This year we have a new record. I roughly counted over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)
[img]https://www.zen-garden.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wisteria-sinensis-and-shumi-sen-IMG_4261.jpg[/img]

In the next couple of weeks we will hope and pray that this will not be a definitive separation...
Wau!

Beautiful!

Best Regards! zvone

koiboy01

Hi Piet,
Sorry to see the state of your wisteria, it was such a magnificent specimen, let's hope it comes back from the bottom it will take a few years but at least it may make it.
Koiboy01

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Thanks for your compassion !

This week I removed most dead wood and it is now even more sad to see...

Well then, like you suggest George, there is still life.
It has three main branches and they all show life signs... Low to the ground, but life !

Close to the ground the main trunk is literally exploding with new growth, so indeed it will take some years but the roots are okay and it will survive.

koiboy01

Hi Piet,
That is indeed GOOD NEWS.
George.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Piet Patings wrote:Thanks for your compassion !

This week I removed most dead wood and it is now even more sad to see...

Well then, like you suggest George, there is still life.
It has three main branches and they all show life signs... Low to the ground, but life !

Close to the ground the main trunk is literally exploding with new growth, so indeed it will take some years but the roots are okay and it will survive.
Both, side trunks show signs of life. The main trunk is dead from about 30cm (12 inches) above the ground.
I made a selection of new twigs from the "explosion" and led them along the old, dead wood. Now some have reached the top !!

So next year I expect some flowering gratitude in return. I'll later place some photo's.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Piet Patings wrote:Both, side trunks show signs of life. The main trunk is dead from about 30cm (12 inches) above the ground.
I made a selection of new twigs from the "explosion" and led them along the old, dead wood. Now some have reached the top !!

So next year I expect some flowering gratitude in return. I'll later place some photo's.
Well, with regard to flowering this may become a new record year.
Last year I permitted only a small number of twigs to grow. The result is that our once beautifully looking solitary "tree-like" Wisteria now looks a bit, uh, different to say the least. However the number of flower buts that has developed may very well set a new flowering-record... that is to say, when weather permit.
...over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)....
It may take a week or so to see it into full bloom.

I'll keep you posted

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I hope that the wisteria is recovered from its illness (?) of 2012 and that your patience is abundantly rewarded.

Bonne chance!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

koiboy01

Hi Piet,
Pleased to see that your wisteria is getting back to how it looked in it's prime.
All the very best.
George.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Well, it is not as good as I had hoped for but it is far better than I expected a year ago.

The top flowers, although there are plenty, are not yet in bloom.

An other observation is the fact that the raceme are more open, having only halve the number of flowers each, and thus the flowers are far less dense than two years ago. See earlier posts for the 2011 photo's.

Nonetheless we are glad it survived.

Greener-Garden

That Wisteria sinensis is beautiful! I definitely want to get one of those for my house, such a lovely plant. Hope yours can recover to its full glory.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Thanks.

After the May blooming it grew explosively.... We hope and expect it to come to bloom next May at the top as well.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”