User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

This year, with our first Frost damage due to minimum temperatures as low as -22,9 °C (-9.2F), growth of most plants, including the Pinus densiflora, Japanese Red Pine started a few weeks late.

However our Wisteria sinensis does not show any sign of live yet. This is how it looks now: [img]https://www.zen-garden.org/img/misc/Wisteria-sinensis-may-2012-IMG_0179.JPG[/img]

And this is our Wisteria sinensis may 2011
This year we have a new record. I roughly counted over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)
[img]https://www.zen-garden.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wisteria-sinensis-and-shumi-sen-IMG_4261.jpg[/img]

In the next couple of weeks we will hope and pray that this will not be a definitive separation...
Piet, Tsubo-en

User avatar
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 25303
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: TN/GA 7b

Oh, it would be such a shame if such a beautiful plant didn't make it!

If you break a twig, is it green inside? If you slightly scratch the bark on the trunk is it green underneath? No to both would be bad news.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Well it has lots of small buts ... but these are from November last year and did not change....
Any twig I touch breaks with a snappy sound so I am not very positive.
My wife keeps faith !.

At the very bottom there of the main trunk there is still growth that may be a starting point for a second life ... but it will then take years to get to the stage it was in.
Piet, Tsubo-en

zvone
Full Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Maribor

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

Piet Patings wrote:This year, with our first Frost damage due to minimum temperatures as low as -22,9 °C (-9.2F), growth of most plants, including the Pinus densiflora, Japanese Red Pine started a few weeks late.

However our Wisteria sinensis does not show any sign of live yet. This is how it looks now: [img]https://www.zen-garden.org/img/misc/Wisteria-sinensis-may-2012-IMG_0179.JPG[/img]

And this is our [Wisteria sinensis may 2011
This year we have a new record. I roughly counted over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)
[img]https://www.zen-garden.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wisteria-sinensis-and-shumi-sen-IMG_4261.jpg[/img]

In the next couple of weeks we will hope and pray that this will not be a definitive separation...
Wau!

Beautiful!

Best Regards! zvone

User avatar
koiboy01
Senior Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: U K

Hi Piet,
Sorry to see the state of your wisteria, it was such a magnificent specimen, let's hope it comes back from the bottom it will take a few years but at least it may make it.
Koiboy01
anyone who never made a mistake never made anything.

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Thanks for your compassion !

This week I removed most dead wood and it is now even more sad to see...

Well then, like you suggest George, there is still life.
It has three main branches and they all show life signs... Low to the ground, but life !

Close to the ground the main trunk is literally exploding with new growth, so indeed it will take some years but the roots are okay and it will survive.
Piet, Tsubo-en

User avatar
koiboy01
Senior Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: U K

Hi Piet,
That is indeed GOOD NEWS.
George.
anyone who never made a mistake never made anything.

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Piet Patings wrote:Thanks for your compassion !

This week I removed most dead wood and it is now even more sad to see...

Well then, like you suggest George, there is still life.
It has three main branches and they all show life signs... Low to the ground, but life !

Close to the ground the main trunk is literally exploding with new growth, so indeed it will take some years but the roots are okay and it will survive.
Both, side trunks show signs of life. The main trunk is dead from about 30cm (12 inches) above the ground.
I made a selection of new twigs from the "explosion" and led them along the old, dead wood. Now some have reached the top !!

So next year I expect some flowering gratitude in return. I'll later place some photo's.
Piet, Tsubo-en

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

Piet Patings wrote:Both, side trunks show signs of life. The main trunk is dead from about 30cm (12 inches) above the ground.
I made a selection of new twigs from the "explosion" and led them along the old, dead wood. Now some have reached the top !!

So next year I expect some flowering gratitude in return. I'll later place some photo's.
Well, with regard to flowering this may become a new record year.
Last year I permitted only a small number of twigs to grow. The result is that our once beautifully looking solitary "tree-like" Wisteria now looks a bit, uh, different to say the least. However the number of flower buts that has developed may very well set a new flowering-record... that is to say, when weather permit.
...over 1200 racemen at one time (April 25th 2011)....
It may take a week or so to see it into full bloom.

I'll keep you posted
Piet, Tsubo-en

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 7501
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: El Cerrito, CA

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

I hope that the wisteria is recovered from its illness (?) of 2012 and that your patience is abundantly rewarded.

Bonne chance!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

User avatar
koiboy01
Senior Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: U K

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

Hi Piet,
Pleased to see that your wisteria is getting back to how it looked in it's prime.
All the very best.
George.
anyone who never made a mistake never made anything.

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

Well, it is not as good as I had hoped for but it is far better than I expected a year ago.

The top flowers, although there are plenty, are not yet in bloom.

An other observation is the fact that the raceme are more open, having only halve the number of flowers each, and thus the flowers are far less dense than two years ago. See earlier posts for the 2011 photo's.

Nonetheless we are glad it survived.
Piet, Tsubo-en

Greener-Garden
Full Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:24 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

That Wisteria sinensis is beautiful! I definitely want to get one of those for my house, such a lovely plant. Hope yours can recover to its full glory.

User avatar
Piet Patings
Cool Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Lelystad, Netherlands

Re: Has our Wisteria sinensis, our garden pride, died ?!

Thanks.

After the May blooming it grew explosively.... We hope and expect it to come to bloom next May at the top as well.
Piet, Tsubo-en

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”