purpleplum
Newly Registered

Please ID my maple tree!

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me identify a Japanese maple tree that I have. I'm not 100% positive that it is a Japanese maple but I do believe it is one because it pretty much looks like a 5-6 feet bonsai tree. I really think it could be an acer palmatum dissectum but know nothing of plants or trees alike so would love your opinions/help on this matter.

So during the spring/summer the leaves are bright green but come fall they are a vibrant orange (I know, I know...what tree isn't right?). The leaves look like this [url]https://www.my-photo-gallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Lace-Leaf-Japanese-Maple-2.4m3m.jpg[/url]. This tree was here when we moved into the house and was 5-6 feet (I'm guessing) and in the 13 years that we've lived at this house, the tree hadn't grown at all or at least hadn't grown much. So is there possibly another Japanese maple tree out there that also only grows up to 6 feet and has that same leaf?

BTW, the picture I provided isn't mine and I also don't have any and can't take any pictures of the tree because it is now dead. I would GREATLY appreciate any help in ID'ing this tree! Also, thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Tonio
Green Thumb

There are many JM cultivars, and many web sites about them. I think the lace leaf types are named dissectum, I have one too- but in red/purple dwarf that just started leafing out.
But since its dead perhaps you could research what would grow well in your area. But how do you know its dead? Most JM's are deciduous- drops leaves.

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

Here's a good site for descriptions w/ pictures.

https://japanese-maple.com/green_leaf_grafted.html

T

purpleplum
Newly Registered

Tonio thanks for the quick reply and the link! Well the reason why I know it's dead is due to human error/neglect. My father got interested in bonsais and decided to practice "pruning" on the tree and this is the end result of that: [url]https://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg539/purpleplum3/P1110569.jpg[/url]
[url]https://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg539/purpleplum3/P1110570.jpg[/url]

So it's close to spring and that is how it looks. The tree was perfectly fine before my father decided to cut a lot of the branches off so I do know that it would do fine in the area I'm in but I was really hoping to ID it so I could replace it with another one and hopefully keep a watchful eye on it. Tonio, thanks again for your help.

Tonio
Green Thumb

Doh,

That is some serious butchering :shock: But you will be suprised, JM's are rather strong. Where are you located? It still may be early, but the weather this year has been nuts.

I'm in San Diego , CA and mine just started leafing out about 2 weeks ago. I root pruned about a month ago- real close call. I removed maybe a 1/3 of the roots that were all bound up and dense.

purpleplum
Newly Registered

lol yeah it's pretty bad but I'm in salt lake city and I hope you're right about the weather though. In the meantime though I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

That is a dissectum Japan maple.

Very often they are natural dwarfs.

That aint how you get maples to back bud.

it may not be dead, but no thanks to the arborist.

purpleplum
Newly Registered

@ Tomc

How can I tell if it's dead or not? And if it's not dead, any advice on what I should do to keep it from dying? Thanks for your help and reply.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Scrape the bark with your fingernail, If there is some green in the inner bark, then maybe the tree has a chance.

Spring pruning, especially profound pruning of maples can cause them to bleed out and expire.

Disectums are not the most rugged of trees.

WildcatNurseryman

A good place to start would be Acer d. 'Viridis' or 'Waterfall'.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”