Tonio
Green Thumb

JP maple dissectum transplanting

Hi all,
I have a "Garnet" Dissectum-laceleaf Maple in a pot thats starting to bud. Its in a 3gal pot so still young. Purchased last spring, and manifested the typical deciduous nature and dropped leaves in November.

I hear that its best to transplant in spring ,and torn if we want to keep in a container or let it mature in ground. Being in S. California is pretty is risky to begin with, and the soil is alkaline sandy clay. Plus the spot that would be best- protected from wind, and sun is where many seasonal critters tread (coon, skunk ).The coons are so rambunctious, and the skunks dig like crazy. I think its time to make decision but don't know which is best?

Any help would be appreciated !!

T

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Does sound like a lot of risk in putting it in the ground. But if you are going to keep it in a container, you need a much bigger one.

koiboy01

Hi,
I would keep it in a container, use a large pot with potting compost 60%, sharp grit or pea gravel 40%, give it a good watering in to start and after that just keep the compost moist but NOT WET place in a shaded position out of the way of strong winds and you should have a happy acer,
All my acers are kept in large pots with the same compost mix as above and have been growing well for years.
you can see my acers on my website.
koiboy01

Tonio
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:But if you are going to keep it in a container, you need a much bigger one.
Definately- thanks !!

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

koiboy01 wrote:Hi,
I would keep it in a container, use a large pot with potting compost 60%, sharp grit or pea gravel 40%, give it a good watering in to start and after that just keep the compost moist but NOT WET place in a shaded position out of the way of strong winds and you should have a happy acer,
All my acers are kept in large pots with the same compost mix as above and have been growing well for years.
you can see my acers on my website.
koiboy01
KB-
Compost- bieng from UK that means potting soil , yes?

I am going towards keeping it in a container- posibly dig it in when it gets hot.

We do have a container in mind, and the plant/pot is sitting in it with the fallen leaves in between for insulation- ready to use for mulch.

Actually, was going to use the gritty mix- turface, bark fines, granite grit- however soemthing tells me it will be too draining and hot during summer. So was considering adding in some peat for acidity and some extra water retention.

T

Tonio
Green Thumb

I think I repotted just in time, and its even flowering !!

T
click for bigger pic
[url=https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/DSCN0281.jpg][img]https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/th_DSCN0281.jpg[/img][/url]

koiboy01

Hi Tonio,
Well done, it certainly looks healthy.
koiboy01. :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Tonio wrote:I think I repotted just in time, and its even flowering !!

T
click for bigger pic
[url=https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/DSCN0281.jpg][img]https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/ttonio/th_DSCN0281.jpg[/img][/url]
KB, your disectum is showing its leaves. They are lovely though.

Tonio
Green Thumb

koiboy01 wrote:Hi Tonio,
Well done, it certainly looks healthy.
koiboy01. :)
Thanks KB!!, Its doing really well. I was nervous during root pruning, so you can imagine satisfaction when I first saw the leaves budding out :lol:

T

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”