khunmarty
Newly Registered

Planning a Japanese Garden

Hi all. I've seen this site before, but this time I have logged on and would like some input from some of you. I will post a picture, when I figure that part out so.

I just moved into our home and will have a japanese garden one of these days. The more I think about it, the more details I get into. I have a couple of books and a game plan. I'm still in search of some good rocks for my garden, but I'll know what I want when I see it. When I do post a picture I would like to know what you would do with the area. I also like the way your guys use pictures and add things to them so you can visualize what your talking about. I'm not sure how you do that or if it is some sort of program. Anyway just wanted to put out some feelers, and I will post a pic and let you know what I'm thinking about when I do and see what kind of input I get from you.

Thanks Much and hope to hear from you guys soon.
Marty

koiboy01

Hi Marty,
Look forward to your photo's, I am sure you will get some feedback from them.
koiboy01

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Marty,

I too look forward to your photos. You might find this helpful.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/japanese/2003/zen.html

Newt

khunmarty
Newly Registered

Trying to upload pics, hope this works.

https://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?&p=999&uid=7658481&gid=14485289&&imgid=217276167&offset=0

koiboy01

Hi Marty,
How's this for starters, just click on the link.
https://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/marty.htm
koiboy01

khunmarty
Newly Registered

koi,

When I opened your link they were the same picture???

khunmarty
Newly Registered

Koiboy,

OK, it opened on the 2nd try. Looks great. I should have mentioned before what I was looking for, but was in a hurry.

The wife and I both want a water feature, so I was thinking about a Tsukubai arrangement (with water) I want a bamboo spout and will have a pump for it.

I was also wondering if I should use a kenninji-gaki fence (about 1 m high) as backround agaist the brick wall to hide the wall socket??

I was also thinking about a kinkakuji-gaki fence along the top of the garden in front of the porch as a type of divider.

Love your input so far, keep it coming

marty

khunmarty
Newly Registered

Hey everyone. I hope everyone had a good holiday season, I sure did, but now it's time to get back on track with the garden.

Koiboy, The picture you made is great, I like it and wanted to know what kind of plants you show in the picture?

Are you able to do a picture with a Tsukubai arrangement ? Still wondering if I should make a bamboo fence at all? any advise is most welcome.

I also found your web site and had a good look at your gardens, It must have taken years to get it the way it is right now.

Newt: Still waiting to hear some input from you and any one else, I'm open to all sugestions. Hope to hear from you all soon.
Marty

Newt
Greener Thumb

Marty, shat I know about Japanese gardens could fill a seedling pot! :oops: I did look at your pics and liked what Koiboy did with your bed though. I wish I could help more but my opinions would be from a novice for sure.

Newt

Newt
Greener Thumb

Marty, I've been thinking about my reply and decided to educate myself a bit. From what I understand a Tsukubai is a pot to wash in. It shouldn't be placed near a waterfall or pond as that makes for two strong water elements. If you want a water feature I would put the Tsukubai pot near the door and the water feature closer to the driveway or in the middle of the bed.

If you put up a bamboo fence, where would you put it? Just around that one garden? Maybe you can include the bamboo fencing in another area of the garden where it will give some continuity to the design.

I was also wondering if you have visited any Japanese gardens. The J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh has a Japanese garden.
https://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/

Another Japanese garden in NC.
Wilkes Community College Gardens
Collegiate Drive (near exit 268 off US 421)
Wilkesboro, NC 28697
336-838-6294

Theme gardens through out the campus including: Japanese garden, conifer garden, native garden, garden for the senses, rose garden, vegetable garden, wildflower meadow, and a log cabin.

You might also find this post by Opabinia interesting. You can subscribe to the thread if you like to find out when there are more posts by clicking on 'Watch this topic for replies' on the lower left of the page.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3782&highlight=

Newt

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”