GreenSoul
Newly Registered

Japanese Maple Disease

Hi everyone,

My Japanese Maple has been suffering with a disease for some time now. I think it is over 20 years old, at least, and it has some type on fungus growing all over its bark.

I have some pictures.

Please tell me what the disease is and how I can treat it. Thanks!

https://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/5979478/img/5979478.jpg

https://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/5979506/img/5979506.jpg

yama

Hi
It is late replay,but better than nothing :D I am great mis speler. King of misspell.
fugus like thing is called lichen(s). not fungus nor disease.
Some time lichen grow on stressed weekend tree/plants.
What stress? soil too dry or too wet. The tree is look like next to parking pavement. environmet is not harsh for the tree by heat from pavement.
Did feed the tree ?
Try to keep soil moist and feed the tree light.
If you don't like lichen, you can peel off carefully or use tooth brash to remove it. Plese don't use hard object.Maple bark is thin and easy to damage.

Next time
if you explain histry of maintenance. your plant hardness zone/location,location of the tree,soil ph, feeding scedule,how you water etc.then it is easer to answer and you will get getter responce from expeirenced gardeners/
I hope it is not too late and helpfull. yama

tomc
Super Green Thumb

GreenSoul wrote:Hi everyone,

My Japanese Maple has been suffering with a disease for some time now. I think it is over 20 years old, at least, and it has some type on fungus growing all over its bark.
Your Japan maple has lichen. IMO its not broke, you don't need to fix it.

True a little better air drainage would thin the existance of lichen some.

Unless your willing to knock abutting buildings and fences down, I'd look at them as I might at freckles on a child.

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”