Tess
Newly Registered

I saw a wonderous Japanese garden feature! What is it?

While in Japan, I saw a TV show that showcased garden features that made sounds like a bell. The lovely sounds were created by water falling through rocks placed on the ground and which entered a pot buried in the ground! I would like to make one in my garden but I need some details. Does anyone know the name of this garden feature? The show showed some that were quite old, and some that were newly made.

The new ones were made by digging a hole in the ground big enough for a large, deep ceramic pot plus a few inches of space around it. The ceramic pot probably had a few small holes along the side to let excess water escape. The pot was just below the ground surface. Once in the ground the pot and hole was covered with a large piece of wood which had a few holes drilled through the middle. Rocks of various sized were placed completely over the wood in a pleasing arrangement. When water was pour over the rocks, the water entered the pot and you could hear bell-like sounds ring out from the ground!

The old garden feature had moss growing from between the rocks. It looked like part of the ground till you poured water over the rocks, then magically beautiful sounds would come from it.

Can anyone tell me what I saw, and if my directions would really make such a garden feature? Thanks

koiboy01

Hi,
Google for suikinkitsu ,
it is a vessel below ground and when water drips into it you get the resonant sound.
FOLLOW my lower post.
koiboy01
Last edited by koiboy01 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

koiboy01

Hi,
follow this link,
https://www.jgarden.org/features.asp?ID=15
koiboy01

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”