Happy Outside
Newly Registered

Transplanting a New Maple

I recently purchased a Crimson Queen and transplanted it. It was a good size around 4 1/2'. I noticed that roots were growing around in a circle. Since it was in a pot I thought this was normal. Naturally, I roughed up the edges and bottom ever so gently. I moved it 3 times before being satisfied with its position. Some of the roots came unraveled. My question is:
Is it okay to have planted the tree with the roots bound to the circle like that?
I've been researching this a lot and found a lot of conflicting information. Some say to cut the roots other say DO NOT! I felt that they would find their way naturally in the ground once they were established. I hope they don't continue to grow around in a circle and choke the tree. Any advice/thoughts would be helpful! :oops:

[/quote]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, sorry, but it is definitely not ok to plant it with the roots all going round in circles like that. It will just choke/ smother itself to death. You need to dig it up (it won't be rooted in ) and tease all the outside roots loose around the sides and bottom. If it's really tight you might have to cut some, but often that can be done more gently just by prying/ working them loose. Another option is to put the whole root ball in a bucket of water and soak them loose.

But you have to do something or your tree will die.

Happy Outside
Newly Registered

The roots are loose however. I should unravel them you are saying? Because a few came unravelled and they were over a foot long! So I laid them straight out and covered them. Thanks for the info!

Happy Outside
Newly Registered

P.S. but not the whole thing

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm not quite getting the picture how the roots are loose and still potbound and going around in circles. Usually if they are loose, they would be hanging down like the ones you said unravelled. Yes you want those long straight roots, that's what is going to feed your tree.

I would pull up the tree and start over. You want a hole deep enough to accommodate those long roots plus a little and at least twice as wide as the root ball. Get someone to hold the tree suspended so the roots are hanging down into the hole, but the crown where the roots join the trunk is at ground level, while you fill the hole back in. This makes sure the roots have good loose soil to travel in while the tree is getting established.

Having successful trees is all about digging big holes! You don't want to spend good money buying a tree and then skimp out on digging the hole.

Happy Outside
Newly Registered

Okay thanks!

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”