Jillzone1
Newly Registered

Need help finding the perfect privet.

Hello. First, this blog/site is great and I find it very useful. Ok, I am in need of help to create privacy in our backyard. I did a search for arborvitae, worked but not the best match. Next, I researched the hedges that are seen throughout the Hamptons in Long Island-this is the look I am going for. Privet hedges seemed to keep coming up. I am looking for hedges that will grow way above 6ft, stay green throughout the entire year and require little to no maintenance-except the usual needed pruning maybe once a year. Our home is on 1 acre of property and I would like to cover the sides and back fences with plants, they are standard wood and we cannot afford PVC fence which I prefer(I prefer going green). If someone could help me with the best privacy hedge to plant that will grow for years to come and look great and stay healthy I would appreciate it greatly. The yard in mix of moderate sun to mostly shaded. Thanks.

Piet Patings
Cool Member

Hi @Jillzone1
Be aware that this is the "Japanese Garden" section of this forum. If yours is not there may be better places to look for an answer.

Having said that I would suggest to also look into conifers. My Thuja occidentalis (different varieties) does great and I think that could also work in your climate-zone.

Privet should do fine. An alternative to that could be Prunus lusitanica. A very nice leaf and strong grower. Pruning once a year would not be enough though. Also double check the hardiness for your zone.

Greets,

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”