the collecter

Starting a Japanese "style" garden

I'm starting an American Japanese "style" garden, I pretty much have it figured out except for the fact that I'd like to be able to change the garden around, so I'm thinking I'd put something on the ground as big as my garden (like a large plant box) so the roots don't grow too far down while in the garden and I don't hav to moveall these small polant boxes around

my question:

can I use a tarp from the hardwear store to put under the top soil instead of useing individual plant boxes?
will the roots grow through the tarp?

(I don't want pots in my garden)

koiboy01

hi,
If you use tarpaulian I would think that it would get waterlogged unless you pierce it with a garden fork all over to let the rain through you can use a horticultaral membrane which lets the water through but dosn't allow the weeds to come through.I have a lot of acers and small trees in large pots in my Japanese garden which allows me to move them around to change the scenery.
koiboy01

gallum90

If you wanted to have the natural look like all the plants are in the ground and yet still classy I have an idea.

If you dug a hole in the ground as large as your garden and lined it with brick or wood to clean it up. Then put your garden plants in briks and put them in the pit so the pots are below the lip of your finished pit then fill it with soil to save money then leave some room on the top for mulch like stuff or wood chips.

I'm only 15 and don't really know what a japanese garden looks like but from what I googled I guess that could work depending on what your putting in :D

sunny_gardener
Newly Registered

If you do it right, it could be sooo beautiful. Takes some work though!

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”