CherA

Are there any Japanese vines in white, fast growing?

Hi,
I wonder if there are any vines of Japanese vareity? If there aer I iagine they woudl be gorgeous and I am brand new to this except I fel lin love with the Japanese Gardens in San Francisco when I visited there in the 70's. I didn't want to leave, just stay forever.
I do not recall any vines however.
I have chain link fencing on one property line and then in front of that is a bulb bed that I take photos of. Often I can't take photos as the vines because the chain link shows thru and I do not know how to use Photoshop yet.
So it must be a fast grower and able to reach six feet high or so. The fencing is very long between maybe 90-100 feet or less, I don;t know for sure.
At any rate I planted some sweet peas there and only two of 7 grew.
I am looking for something like clematis with large flowers that is a perennial that will grow on either the chain link or the bamboo fencing..perferably white flowers but pastels are nice in cool tones like lilac or pink or so. If you know of anything would apprecaite a URL or link to a source of info. Thanks guys, Cher I think if anyone will know this Yama will.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the point of a Japanese garden, is not that the plants originated in Japan at some point, but that it follows certain principles of aesthetic design including being simple and spare, with a lot of empty space, following naturalistic design (eg no straight rows of things), and making the garden look like it belongs there and has been there forever. Helpful Gardener has a good article on it here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/japanese/

If you like the clematis, why not use that?

There is a white flowering Japanese Hydrangea vine, some varieties with variegated leaves. It's a perennial, so probably wouldn't be real fast growing the first year (neither will the clematis).

To my eyes (everyone's taste is different) your chain link fence with vines over it would be a pretty busy kind of look if the feel you are going for is Japanese garden. You could just put bamboo fencing inside the chain link.
You can buy rolls of it pretty cheap and to me it would give more of the Japanese garden feel:

https://www.calibamboo.com/bamboofencing.html?gclid=CLP8-dDI0qMCFZJ95Qod9UTTvg

(I used that link just to show you the look I had in mind, you can get the bamboo fencing a lot cheaper elsewhere, like big box stores)

CherA

Hi Guys,
Ive not actually decided to go for a Japanese look. There is alot of that chain link with many bulbs to photograph in the spring and I've read about so many vines, (they need to be perennials) but have not yet found one that I consider appropriate in sufficient ways. None fit the bill, mostlsy due to color. Many are orange or warm tones that I do not want there.
As far as the bamboo, my friend did buy one pc and we are trying it. My neighbor took one look at it and hasn;t spoken to us since. I was shocked. We often spoke over the fence, but I thoguht if I put the fence up we would cut it down naturally, we just need to live with that pc for a while..its only a pc...Some folks like to be mad other peole for any reason and these are those type.
The area where the chain linik is covers several themes, one is way in the corner with an area of lilacs, and that is where I had hoped to put the waterfall anad pool. The hole is there for the pool now. Then ther eis a small area with grape vines, and spirea, and then there are long rows of variuos bulbs etc, Its difficult to describe as I am only describing what is in front of the fence which spans the property on one whole side.
I grow clematis on a trellace elsewhere in teh yard and it can be fussy depending on the variety. Some like it her better than others. It took me a while to get the hang of them. They don't grow very quickly as was mentioned and are often not lush enough for the look I want. But I have seed that hydrangea vine in magazines and if it would grow to look as lush it does in pictures and not take forever like 50 yrs lol, that may be ideal. I will look into it further. The clematis would look gorgeous, no doubt about it, but they intimidate me, and I am afraid they will grow too slowly.
I planted 7 sweet peas this yeasr and only two grew, and they are taking forever; generally I think they grow like weeds.
I'm still playing with ideas. The photos are so lovely. I had no idea one could frame the bamboo in like that, but did wonder how to prevent it from sigzagging like it does, so thakn yuo so much for those, that helped more than you realize.
Lots more to think about now. I think the hydrangeas are costly for my budget but who says I have to plant them all at once, and perhaps they will allow me to make cuttings from them at some point...thank you for that!
Those of you where it is pouring out as it is here in Boston, keep dry and well. Cher

yama

CherA
I think you posted your question wrong place.
1)
we normaily plants vine in Japanese garden. It makes hard to maintein. you may find Japane's home garden not meant to be Japanese garden may have vine sometime how ever.
2)
your next dooknows what bamboo can do to your next door. I don't blaim them not talk to you. If next door know your well may asked you not plants bamboo. Many people in US don't know much about bamboo. If you have large lot, bomboo won't be any ploblem. Iy you have less than 2 acres and don't know how to grow bamboo or bamboo its self. Join to American bamboo society and learn it first.

Hardy jusmin vine has white flower and cold hardy to zone 6 . I saw many jusmin flower around Boston. My neibor has one too.
If you are thinking to plant jusmin or any other vine on fence, know who onwn fence. your next door may not like vein grow on his fence. Fence is normaly few inch inside of property line. if you planted veine next to post, youe next door may have right cut down you vinve Called in crochment. Talk to your next doo first, befor plantin plants on, or ner property line.

My customer din't like a vine next door planted and asked me trim off any part of vine growing into property, fence is his, so tecnically he can trim off all pert of next doors vine. The vine is bad choice, Damaging fence, I can kill the vine quietly without anyone can detict.
Both neibor should able to enjoy plant along fence line.
my 2 cents
yama

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you look at the link, I was never suggesting growing bamboo, I was suggesting (cut) bamboo fencing...

yama

Hi Rainbowgardener
We, Japanese growing bamboo for food, constraction material, craft , art, tools, toys thousand yeras.
Bamboo is usefull and beautiful plants. Many Japanese gardens using bamboos.few inch tall bamboo to 80`90 feet tall bamboo. We aquwired technic to controle bamboo growth.
When I was small, arrow, bow , toy witile to set bird trape, I grow up with bamboo. after become gardener, I had to learn more about bamboo.
I saw often Bamboo gorw out of hand, because people don't know how to controle bamboo.
Once you learn how to controle bamboo, it can be tamed and well behaive plant. It takes some time labor and right tools. Home Depot's $20 shavel is no match to Bamboo.
Bamboo should not limited to use in Japanese garden only fence or constraction. live bamboo are very beautifull plants in Japanese agrden or any stye of garden.

yama

CherA

Hi, First, I'm sorry for th efaux pas; I always make them on new forums. So much in a hurry.
And I wanted you to know I would never plant bamboo. OMG My Dad had a problem wiht a sp of it that he had someone dig over 4 feet down and dig up th eroots to try and get rid of it by putting down black material etc etc. I meant a bambo fence which is quite beautiful, Yo don;t know these kind of neighbors...very strange people; not normal. She comes out early in am and squirts teh squirrels and pushes them over to my property! Imagine..who would evern ever think of doing such a thing|?
Anyway I dug into the black material as I plant in that area where that noxious bamboo was and it still comes upo after he died in 2004 it is now 2010..sometimes it starts coming up in places.
I have to get used to the forums here, sorry if I offended anyone. I had been talking vines, and fencing at the same time as wanted to plant vine over the chain link fence....thanks for all the help! Cher

yama

Not warry. you are ofending no one.
Some time at right rorum, you may have more response. that all.
Noxiuos Bamboo ? Bamboo are doing what bamboo do. Bamboo is one of best plant you can have as food, craft, material, toy, tools art.
You have to know each bamboo's chracter , like us, every bamboo have different , and use of it. I grow up with bamboos. so I have many bamboo products in my home.

bamboo skew , bamboo chop stick can be good tools. When I clean up my chainsaws, I use bamboo skew where I can not reach, hitting tip of bamboo skew with hammer, make tip of bamboo skew like fine brush and use it for many porpose, Bamboo chop stick can be use as nail for wood work, clean parts, bamboo is soft enogh not scrape alliminum parts hard enoght to remove debries. Bamboo is harder than oak, cheaper, and many use in Japanese gardeneing. it is most usefull plant on earth.

I am planing to go back to Japan, If I see Japanese white vine, I let's you know. ( Most likely, it came from elsewhere :D )

yama

CherA

Thank-you Yama, You're gracious and have more command of the English language than I may. I meant it was noxious noxious to my Dad, but should have said invasive or nuisance. He was handicapped and chronically in severe pain so for him that bamboo was a "nuisance" and a half, to put it mildly. He had to hire men to dig a hole in that area 4 feet down in order to get most of those roots but as you must know, one can never get them all like that. Well, perhaps if I had not started to put holes in his black cloth etc. it would not have come back in this area at all. It does much yet, mostly in my neighbors who never took steps to remove it she just trims it. I think it makes it grow more.
Like you, I have many bamboo products including flooring. I love it. But not the kind that grows like weeds where you want other things to flolurish and it doesn;t let it. It gets so out of control in the area here.
I almost forgot the original question. Oh, the vine. Thank you so much, and if you can send us photos of the beautiful gardens and whatever you can post, please do so. Maybe I should send this privately since it is so off topic? Yes, I will do that. Have a great trip and keep in touch with us if you can. I wanted to send this private but was unable to do so after hitting reply.
Cher

yama

Hi Cher
Years ago, at Atlanta flowershow, there were display for handycap people. 35 years ago, I have met David and Rene Able of Miami. FL. David was on wheel chir . He was general contractor, assistant mayer of Ball Hobor. They treated me as own son.
Daivid was on wheel chir but I never thought that he is handicaped. He had strong will, he repaired dryer /haveing me to tell what tool to use which way tune wrench. There are many ways handicape peoples can enjoy gardeneing.

I am going to home in Japan soon. after I settled in. I will post photos of not so famus temples garden, orarnary peoples garden, small garden sho, flower shop . Within 10 minutes walking distance from my home. there are 5 Buddist temples, two christian churchs . closest one is only 50 ~60 feet away.
There is one large temple , Natural park which is famous for collection of cherry trees, they have 250 speices of cherry tree are collected.
My home town is in Tokyo. we have many trees and green, there are ginkgo trees along both side of main street, 2 to 3 mile long.

Enjoy gardening
yama

CherA

Hi Yama,
I can relate totally to that man; he sounds just like my Dad. My Dad worked to put in many mayors in my town...after threeeo f them turned out to be dishonest my Father stopped doing that and tok a different job> But he rn construction company for years when younger..yep often it is al lin the mind; really it depends. I used to be just like that and am not only asthma really keeps me down so much and indoors. Terrible
Now I had forgotten to mention that I have small bamboo growing but they aer all about grass geren color and in hydrophobics (in water only) SOme of them growing so tall like 3 and a half feet tall in bathroom!!
Well, when you returnm yiou will have to teach us how to control these plants we consider invasive (Japanese bamboo).
Cherry trees are my favorite. I got three differenst species for one are and they aer weping of course, but they aer not the onews I expected, and are not very large. I got what I thoguht would be a huge one for the middle of my front yard and it is so spindly..awful skinny. I wonder if I am supposed to trimit from the top to make it more weeping? How do I go about that? I am goign to take advantage of your knowledge before you leave! Sometimes Gurney'ss sends you the wrong varieties of plants likely unknowingly..this is supposed to bea large strong tree but I will have to show you when I get a minute if you are still here. It is at lesat taller than me now so about 6 feet tall maybe but so skinny it is pathetic looking I am told..I don't remember what the flooooos appear like in spring but no cherries. I have poison like cherries on one of thsoe smaller of the three little cherry trees in back year. I never wanted mini trees.. My yard is enormous who needs mini trees. Maybe for garden sure but not where I wantred them/ But seems they aer now growing into pretty little trees for behind seating out back yard near one of my veggie gardens on lawn...betwen the two vegetable gardens which are on lawn enclosed in large rock forms alla round them.
I wish I could be outside moer this year. Last year I was outthere entire season. This year asthma won;t allow me to breath and it hurts; I am allergic to all meds and very miserable hence on the web more. Many sick people go on the web.
It must be like a big slice of heaven where you live. If you were to bring a bird to Japan would they allow it? Would they make it or them go thru quarantine? I wanted to move to Brasil one day but my birds are never going to go thru quaranatine. I won't let that happen. Off topic again. Sorry. Cher

Herb3

To cover a chain link fence, maybe one of the Honeysuckle family would work? We have a trellis with a Woodbine Honeysuckle (Lonicera <I>periclymenum</I>) growing on it, but Woodbine flowers aren't white, though they have a wonderful perfume. Here's a picture of ours -
https://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/128093412

There are white varieties of L. <I>periclymenum</I> and there's a Japanese white Honeysuckle (L. <I>japonicum</I>) too. The Japanese variety is very vigorous-growing indeed, but it has, I think, no perfume. A Google image search of "Lonicera japonicum" leads to lots of pictures of it.

CherA

Herb, Oh that is a gorgeous vine; it must be quite old? I didn't know about the white Japanese type. This chain link fence is next to several areas but need not have this one particular vine near where the pool and waterfall might be some day only as a background for the bulb beds as I was saying..somem thoguht some vines will just apper to be too busy. this one you have may not. What is its blooming period? Are u here in MA also? I only want white so that it doesn't clash with the many different bulbs over teh seasons..but could ultimately live with other colors such as the one you have. But I absolutely must do a saerch for the variety of vine you sent ni. thank so very much for the info. I didn't know that this vine came in rose color, just orange and I foget what else..maybe a deeper reddish, unsuer abotu that but the trumpet vines are beautiful. I hope it was a trumpet vine, myu memoery is not great esp this late. LOL I will reread the post tomorrow and do the search. Cher

Herb3

Cher - I guess our Honeysuckle has been in the ground for about 10 years or longer. I don't know what variety of periclymenum it is. For several years before that I'd admired one that was growing in a neighbor's garden & I eventually I asked her if I could take some cuttings from it & she kindly agreed. It certainly has a very long flowering period because it flowers continuously for several months.

No, we're not in MA - we're in B.C. I thought (mistakenly) that you were somewhere near Seattle. It will certainly grow in Washington State, but I don't know about MA. Herb

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cher that red or orange larger flowered vine you were thinking of is trumpet creeper, campsis radicans. The honeysuckle trumpet vine, lonicera spp., is not related. It is related to the Japanese honeysuckle shrubs which are so invasive, but the honeysuckle trumpet vine is much better behaved. I have one growing up over a trellis arch. It keeps getting bigger, but it doesn't spread away from the arch or pop up other places and did doesn't get so ginormous as the trumpet creeper that keeps trying to swallow my house up.

Hummingbirds like both of them and both of them bloom over a very long period. The lonicera blooms basically all season. It gets covered in blossoms in the spring and then just keeps putting them out a few at a time after that until frost. It seems to like a lot of water and mine will put out a new flush of blooms every time it gets well watered, until late in the season. The trumpet creeper is slower to get started, doesn't start blooming until July, but then keeps going until frost. It's why I tolerate its aggressiveness, it's one of the few hummingbird flowers I have left in my garden right now. Our terrible drought hasn't even phased it, though I don't water it....

The lonicera is hardy to zone 5. If you are in the western half of MA you are in zone 5. If you are in the eastern half you are zone 6 or even 7. So it should work fine for you.

CherA

Only I could .confuse te Honesysuckle with a Trumpet Vine..truly. To much stress right now and my mind is alllover the place.
I had considered honeysuckly but don't remember why I didn't chose it. As for the trumpet vines, it was the colors and invasiveness buut not those characteristics alone. I forget.
But if that Honesuckle is as yours is, nice and compact, it would be a good choice.I;m nerBoston which is o the east coats and we are known for it growingn well here. It in deed ca grrow out of hand here.
I've ben trying to train climbing roses on a trelace andboy what a mes esp since roses do not do well for me in this humid climate no matter what var they are; they get mold and need to be cut down th their roots prdctically each yeear What a shame. I am about to gie up on them as I have tried the hardiest of varieties; did my reserach well over the yeras and still..
I am interested to see wht white Japanese vine/s Yama can show us from Japan when hee goes there. Some plants thata grw ther eif teh climate is cold enough ther will do really wel her. I have a climate that is humid alot of the time with very hot periods that are dry..oh it is getting worse every year; a challenge to grow veggies, ,florals and bulbs. The animals pull the bulbs up esp if they were not planted deep enough. I ;ve had landscapers I nthe past who planted bulbs that wer eto be "down; did them 2 " down so guess whawta? He also ripped out all of my arabis that I'd been trying to get in as a border al over the front area...large are. Ii was livid. I can no longer afford a gardener, nor landscaper to help me and since I design myself am better off its just that I am pretty sick alot of the time and can't get out there. So plants that are easily maintained are going to start ot be my choices now..if ther easier such things. LOL
I will look into trading plants, bulbs, seeds esp etc. I will reconsider the honesysuckle but not yet the trumpett vines. I almost did. LOL I will wait and see what Yama sends us.
I did look into the hydrangeas anad they appear to be very wild..bushy, what is th e word? Not compact. Is that so? Otherwise they are so beautiful. I really like them alot. I wonder if one can grow those from cuttings? Found some what looked to be heirlooms at a dump site or fill site of a construction company. There were tons of bushes thrown over the fence so I talked my men friends into getting them for me; I put them in huge barrels of H2O over night; they were massive and lots of old wood.. Trimmed them down, a job and a half. Had to have a friend (big strong guy) plant them for me! One came up a brilliant lilac and turned pinnk and then white...gorgous...It was in mostly shade. Interestsing for the other two larger plants did not bloom and were in mostly sun..maybe need additional trimming of branches. Hydrandgeas can be tricky in this area. Am interested in the blue Lacecaps macrophylla var. which I belive stem from Japan? Also the pink blushing hue type...unsure if it I s blushing bride or lambs ears; differentt catalogs call them by different names so I need to learn the propers for you all. G
I am not even speaking of what may go in my pond waterfall area as it is not done yet. I have grape hyacinth and iris for the area etc. but need to find a forum where I cna beg for items to complete thee project as I am now fiancially devastated. Without donations from defunct ponds/watrefalls I am not going to h it. One woman just tossed everything; she felt so bad but sid dnot to give up. That is when I wil lneed lots more advice from here.
My border who started the bamboo fencing for me has to leave and take an apartment wihtth his Mom/Aunt so I may have to rely on the vines exclusively now. Have nay of you planted yours in fall and had growth in spring? I need to do more reserach to see what plants are appropriate to speak about here. Cher

applestar
Mod

Something else to consider too, If I didn't misunderstand your original question, you want this vine as a backdrop in spring time when the spring bulbs are in flower? I believe by "perennial" you mean EVERGREEN. ...And by "white" you mean it to be in white flowers at that time.

Are you thinking early spring or later in spring?

Did you mention what kind of sun exposure this area gets? if spring flowering bulbs are planted there, I suppose it's full sun?

P.S. Sorry for joining the discussion late. I thought this was going to be about Japanese Garden design.

applestar
Mod

I know you said fence and vine, so I suspect the space there is limited, but someone just posted a question in the Perennials Forum about forthysias, so I thought -- why not white flowered forsythias? Just thought I'd bring it up in case it's a viable solution.

As for vines -- I've never had much luck growing Sweet Peas, but have you considered growing regular eating peas? How big did you want them again? this year, I grew two pole/climbing peas -- Super Sugar Snaps and [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131442#131442]Tall Telephone Pole[/url]. Both are vigorous vines growing to 6~7 feet, with prolific white flowers (and subsequent edible peas, of course :wink:). When inoculated with pea innoculant when sowing seeds, they will fix nitrogen in their roots that will be released after the peas die off, and the "peas straw" -- the spent vines -- can(and should) be used as mulch.

I would then sow pole beans or cucumbers after Memorial Day in the same place, but that's me. :wink: If you want something non-edible with finer foliage, maybe Cardinal Climber or Cypress Vine (red flowers attractive to hummingbirds)?

CherA

Yes,I'm sorry, I;m new and great at going off toic as I talk so much. I appologize for that and will try harder. Let me explain. I originally asked if there were any white flored Japanese vines that anyone knew of that might grow in my area. I have a very large length to plant on where there is a chain link fence. I am a photographer who is handicapped and in much pain so I made anoutdoor photo studio so to speak. This chain link fence gets in the way of so many shots..and no I'm not adept with Phtoshop or any of teh other photo editors I have eg Corel, Adobe etc. I use Picas cursing it most of the time, but it is fine for now. I just would like a white flored perennnial that would flower for a longest time of the 4 seasons possible. I;m in Boston and the area is the length of one side of a lot whateever that would be? It is the lenght of our entier house...that says nothing but it is long!
The chain link has a bed in front of it in which my spring bulbs grow, then other flowers in the summer (am looking for other perennials that bloom in July thru Sept now), and then the hibiscus come up...it starts with crocus, then bulbs like dafodils, tulips anad others. The bulbs get thinner ea year due to animalas digging them up; they die before we notice.
The area gets full sun, as it faces the east, and the only time it lacks sun is afternoon when it is nice to work there!
On one side is a row of privacy hedges that lines the front of the house, and on the other there is another bulb bed with white wooden fence that has spirea of pink and white; gorgeous but if I leave them for the birds in winter the dafodils wil lnot grow in the spring, a dilema. My yard is certified a a wild life habitat...anyway may be getting otu of the area too much.
The area I want preferably white floewring perrnial vine hopefully Japanese (I am not familiar with them except that I recently learnd that some hydrangeas stem from Japan..the ones I like! I need perennials, my specialty and budget. LOL I do not want this vine to overgrow the bulbs or other floers etc. or be too bushy. I would like the vine to floewr in spring but continue as long as possible maybe without clipping? Would the hydrangea menetioned do this or is it too bushy fior this purpose?
I know Yama is going to Japan and is going to send us some photos and will send me some pics of white floewred Japanese vines..perhapas soem will grow in this area if they aer obtainable here, do not know this however. Some area in Japan have climate like mine. I am in Boston, and pretty cloes to the ocean as some of you are eg Salem etc. It is a long cold winter so anything grown must requier a long winter over period. Lilacs do extrermely well; roses just get rotted foliage no matter what...that gives you seom indication of teh weather.
It is veryhumid with short dry hot spells; very very hot that you don't want to go out and ater at least I am too sick to unfortunaetly. I;ve got a entier sprinkler system my Dad had set up, but it costs a fortune to run that I no longer have.
I think this answers the questions? Helps clarifies things a bit?
I should say we mentioned clematis but they are so very picky and way too slow to grow if they grow at all here. I have them on either side of a trellace but it took several varieties and some bucks and books before I got it right..still they aer messy. G Beautiful flewrs but do not climb or train well at all. Anyway, too expensive for that area. Need hardier stuff.
I don't care if the flors are tiny stara shaped or large white, really, the coverage of the chain link is most important. My friend got a pc of bamboo fencingn to try alternatively and my neighbor has not spoken to me since..wow.
What else? Sweet peas?? Yes, I bought seven plants from Gurneys, thank you for reminding me I need to get a credit.. two grew. The weather was so dry, no matter how much I wtered them they would come rightout of the ground it wsa so dry here this summer It was horrible Only two survived. I don't thikn thisis what I want there anyway...I wnat soemthign moer substantial. Anyone have a photo of them growing at a year or two? How long do they last? I do not know if they would provide sufficient coverage for my purposes.
I do grow peas, and again I had to call Gurneys for a refund but they sent me moer peas, same as yours except no pole beans; I prefer bush...snap and sugar varieties...I grow them mostly for my birds and this yera there were no peas on them after floewring. Made no sense whatsoever. I was really diappoonted. I'd planned on living off the land literally this year and my birds too...for the most part (I sell bird foods) but my poor birds got not one pea...some great beans, green, but theother varieties didn;t come up either.Many folks here have had no luck with vegies this year whatsoever. SO I can;t rely on that...the bush beans are way too short anyway. I don;t thiknmy neighbor would ever talk to me again if I put veggies ion tht fence; he is not like we are. I don't know I have grapes (3 var) at that fence and yesterday whenI went to harvest them, every grape was gone; same thing happened to me last year. Some one snuck in and stole them all so my poor birds got nothing. I am so saddened by this I can't even tell you. Anyway.
Aside from the grape vine where teh big hole for the pool and water fall is there is now grape hyacinth in front of the chain link but I will probably put mop head blue hydrangea as well as hubiscus blue in addition. That is a way off maybe. I am off topic again you see?
Bacak to the white flowers; I am right now in a position that I would love to trade seed etc because I've had all of my savings stolen. A bad situation but am not givnig up on my gardening no matter what. I have four fot hibiscus in front of teh chain link now that comes up in late August Sept. If there were something like thsoe that come up much earlier like June and sty til Sept and I think I;ve seen some flowers, but not vines..I'm open.
I just thought it would be of value to educate myself on Japanese vines in particular flowering perrenials that are white if possible. I have mostly all cool colors on my property. I am not one for yellow reds etc. I like a totally white garden, or a totally one colored garden here and there eg pink, salmon blue etc. But my bulbs are of many colors. The background must be simple as someoen mentioned, and not clash. I thikn I wrote way too much! Thanks for any input at all. Cher

applestar
Mod

Cher, I don't mean to be discouraging, but at the moment, I feel like you're requirements are contradictory.

- I totally understand your need for something easy, but something that is vigorous enough to quickly cover the amount of vertical space you imply, by nature, would also require a pretty regular pruning and shaping.
- It's difficult to find many plants that flower throughout the season and you seem to be looking for something that flowers rather very early and until very late. I would think it would be better to aim for seasonal flowers from several different plants, yet you want "simple" and "uncluttered".

... eh. I was interrupted by a melt down. I'll come back and post some more later. Something to think about though.

Oh, oh other thought -- I'll have to be brief. If you are looking for climatically hardy, a native plant from your area would be best able to grow with least amount of attention. Sorry can't get more into it right now.

CherA

Hi, I do understandhow it is! I have 1o birds a dog and a Mom who prctically lives up here too; it is a mad house and I am interupted continuously. talk abotu multi tasking? LOL I will speak moer with you later.
I do realize I have a tall order but I have to toss it out there as you never know...I aggree a bush of some sort would be better but it would have to come up after the bulbs and befoer the hibicus and wouldnot occlude teh chain link.
I am going to look further into the hydrangeas. I don't want to create work for my neighbor since he just had multiple surgeries, and as far as I go I don;t mind pruning etc but my illnesses and pain are kind of unperdictable and are affected by weather and presure changes so it is so hard for me. Yet I feel there must be something there that the lord made for me. I will find it. I think maybe I may have to get a non floewring vine. Most vines that grow here tend to be invasive. There aren't a whole lot of them either. Some have been mentioned already eg teh trumpet vines..anything in warm tones woudl definaetly clash which is why I mentioned white but pastels of any cool shades would be great as well.Clematis may take a thousand of them to cover the area so that is so expensive unless they can be grown by seed. I will look into that.I don;t see seeds on mine but will look again. I'm still curious as to what white vines Yama spoke about; you never know. Many different species from areas like that just thrive here. I will look further into that as well.
The thing is, I can and will add other flowers but still need a back drop for the bulbs in order to photograph them. I have lilys there as well, didn;t mention that before...but the chain link gets in teh way all the time and render the photos pretty ugly in my opinion. Same with the hibiscus and other flowers...
May be that I have to rethink the entire project. Or if I find something suitable that is out of my price range I may be able to get bulk seed. Many possibilities yet. Thakn you all so much. Cher

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is a difficult (at least) set of requirements you are talking about.

Here's an article about the climbing hydrangea vine that was my original suggestion, with pictures:

https://www.mobot.org/gardinghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=D370

It does say:

Once established, this vine can develop a somewhat bushy habit, with lateral branches growing out several feet from the support structure, thus giving the foliage a somewhat tiered effect (particularly when in flower).

So I don't know if that meets your requirements either. The hydrangea blooms May - July, which is a reasonably long bloom season for perennials. Most perennials bloom for a month or so out of the year. The honeysuckle trumpet vine we discussed is somewhat an exception to that, but again it tends to be covered with flowers only in the spring and a lot fewer after that. And any really vigorous vine that will give you good coverage, will tend not to stay flat against the fence, but bush out some, including the honeysuckle trumpet vine.

There are vines which will cover your fence nicely and give you a nice solid backdrop, virginia creeper would be a good, fast growing one, but it does not have any noticeable flowers.

I still liked my suggestion of the bamboo fencing. You said something that I didn't quite follow about your neighbor re that. Not sure what business it of the neighbor what you do on your side of the fence, as long as it isn't something that spreads out into his yard.

applestar
Mod

I kind of agree that bamboo or wooden fencing would look more "Japanese Garden". But I had another idea....

What about Variegated Virginia Creeper? I just bought a 4" pot of one in spring at a Native Plant sale. It's really pretty, striking with the variegation, and should be pretty hardy and easy to propagate, though less vigorous than the wild species. See if there are any native plant sales going on in your area. In my area, Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve should be having their fall native plant sale now or soon.

CherA

HI!
I just wanted to reiterate that this particular neighbor is the kind of person who just looks for reasons to be angry at people...very strange, but they as a family have been like that as far as I can recall and my Mom, too. He did say he didn;t mind my putting anything floral there...but he sees the fence as a reason to keep neighbors away. I feel it is beautiful and it is semi privaet, not totallay private as far as that goes, lets some light in and you can see thru it technially and we can cut it down but he just won't discuss it so we didn;t get anymore. I can't afford it now so the issue is mute. My friend was going to buy it for me one pc a month.
I like the idea of the variegated virginia creeper though.....hmmmm, that is really interesting. I would probably be able to grow some other flowering plants there that will not get crowed out, too. I'lllook into that.
I really love that hydrangea tho. I think it would overtake the stuff growing in front of the fenc eventually however, but I know I will find a place for some of that here as it is so beautiful. I loveit too, and have sice I first saw it this year as a matter in fact on the Whitefarms catalog cover. Oh how gorgeous is that. I have to go look at yours yet. I am multitasking to my limit today. I can't wait to see yours in your yard.
I use Picasa to send photos via GMail and when I updtaed my desktop Picasa softwer it stopped letting me download photos so I am quite upset. There is no other way on my system that will let me edit and send photos so I have to use another pc in another area of the house, that is why sometimes I don't send them.
So, I'm thinking in that area, maybe teh virginia creeper with some clematis here and there?? Sounds awfully pertty to me and do not thiknit would be too busy at all as long as every plant is chosen carefully for color and time of bloom...I need poppies in that area too, someplace...but will get the v c in there first. I have Lowes which is the cheapest here and will lolok on the net. Oh phone. talk later. Thakn yuo soos much Cher

yama

Hi Cher
You had many responds from knolegble peoples. Becourse every time some one posted to help to your question or your coment, you always respond to the post. IT is verey good and fun to see your post again.
I don't respond to question to someone who did not repond aftre he/she got answer from me.
Also I never pespond to " thanks in advance" and sentence of question is short.

Japanese honysuckle behave diferently in south. I know you are not southerner. 121/2 years in Miami,FL, 22 years in metro Atlanta,Ga area I have worked as landscaper.gardener, Japanese hony suckle was pesky plant in Gerogia. After I move to Mass, I saw Japanes honysuckle grow in New England, I noticed jpanes honysuckle grow slowly and won't spread quickly on vacant lots.
I never saw Japanese knot weed grow so tall here. even In Japan, knotweed here grow so high and spred widely. Because you guys don't eat then.
Kadzu( we write as kuzu) kadzu is old way to pronunce by the way.
Kadzu root produce highest qualty of starch, use to be use as cold medicine, tender tip of kadzu is delicacy. vine can be weave and make basket.

When you respond to nice way, you get more good responce.
I won't write to this posting.but you post new posting I will respond to your posting.
Take care. .........................yama

yama

Hi Chea
I checked list of invasive plant. Japnese honysuckle is on the list.
Legaly, you canot buy or sell or transplant other location in Mass.
sorry, you have to find something else.
yama

CherA

Ohh, Yama, That's not good news, but thanks so msuch for looking that up. I know that I have seen it grow way out of hand but thought if you caer for it then it would be ok..but it the state has it in the list forget it! LOL

Well, there are still some choices I am investigating. I am seeing how the sweet pea is growing and so far it is growing laterally nicely moer so than upwards so it may be nice..I need to know moer abotu it before I tell them to send me replacements. I read up on it before I ordered it of couser but now that was awhile ago..I forgot. I ordered 7 and one is growing nicely now. I don;t think it flowers all of the time but I may be pleasantly surprised..I might go with clematis but will have to get seeds if that is possible. I may be able to get seedsfrom my own but didnt see any seeds on them this year..don't know if they have them but they must.
Its good to see you post again. I'm very friendly. I like people and to communicate with people and to share what I know and to learn from others no matter what it is about. People here are good, and knowledgable, and friendly. everyone is busy but they take the time.
It's so late, and I haven;t slept so I better tryto get a few mins of sleep now otherwise if it stops raining I will go shoot the sunset. Probably my border has car in my driveway and I would have to wake him at 5 AM...do not like to do so and told him not to park there but he says he doesn;t mind so we shall see. LOL
I should get a photo of the sweet pea. Can I post that one on here? I can't wait to see what you have to send us from Japan!! When are you going. Though that you might be getting ready to go.
Oh it's after sunrise, but it's raining so no phtographing the sun. LOL Another day. Am having a show at Chelsea Library of my foliage work in Nov. That will be nice. 15th. Better go am so off topic again. Have a great day., Cher
PS Most vines as I had said befoer tend to be innnvasive in this area; it iss not esay to find ones esp if you have certain criteria..we shall see what happens. It will be quite interesting..you never know..I may end up putting some sort ofhedge there and moving the bulbs outward!! That is one thing about the garden, it is not controlled by me but it controls me mostly...Mother Nature has her ways...and you just can;t chage some things that tend to go a ceretain way no matter what you want them to do..

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Japanese honeysuckle is a dangerous invasive around here and I would not recommend it. The climbing hydrangea (and it's kissing cousing, Schizophragma hydrangeoides) is a well behaved, elegant, and easily controlled vine. The two in combination varies the bloom time and offers just the slightest difference in appearance (the S. hydrangeoides is just a touch more grey/silver in the foliage) make for an excellent four season appearance. I do not hesitate to use this on railings, structures, fences or even brick walls (unlike ivies the fastening structures do no damage).

My favorite vines...

As for bamboos I have Fargesia murialae and just yesterday spotted a beautiful F. nitida cultivar, 'Blue Hills', with a dark culm, that I must now possess. There are beautiful bamboos that take the invasiveness right out of the picture...

HG

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”