yama

Sansho seeds

Hi all
I have some Sansho seed which very hard to come by

Applestar:
If you are intrested, contact me. Since you have Japanese parents , you may be intrested. I gave my male sansho to my friend years ago, my friend brought back a female sansho, past few years, sansho bearing seeds. it is not large volume.it is in only one gal pot.
Sansho may grow in zone 5 if protected, in zone 8 and 7 sansho do well. zone 6 should be ok.
Next month I am going to Geoagia to see my friend. snansho seeds are ready to harvest.
I am going to back to Japan soon ,so I don't need sansho seeds any more.
I like to give the seed who has horticultual knowlege otherwise it is waste.
I can give you instraction how to grow sansho.
mike yamakami

jogood
Newly Registered

Hello, I have a small sansho plant / seedling which I removed from the garden of my in laws in kanagawa, where several well established sansho bushes were growing. I transported the plant to my house in sapporo where I have kept it in a pot, on my balcony, in non-direct sunlight for about the last 4 months. It hasnt grown much in that time, but has appeared quite happy, with the base of the plant getting noticeably thicker. However, over the last 1-2 weeks I have noticed the leaves are changing to a yellow / green colour, and are starting to curl a little at the ends. It approaching winter now, and I am worried it is not going to make it. The hardiness zone here is I think 6b, but dry with a lot of snow. We did receive quite a lot of rain over the last two weeks and on one occasion, I came home to find the tray at the bottom of the pot was completely full of water, and so I was worried it may have got waterlogged. Anway, now I'm wondering if I should just bring it inside for the winter, and maybe put on the window ledge in the kitchen. Any thoughts would be welcome. thanks

yama

Hi
Dropping leaf this time of year is normal. if ground have snow , snow keep ground tempreture evenly which is good thing.drivening bamboo pole next to sansho and surport is also sugested.

Keep it mind that Sansho can not transplant well. USDA plant zone is not exact science. Zone 6 of Massachusetts, Zone 6 of Georgia is very different.

Sansho has thin bark. protect from dry cold wind. Before leaf change color to yellow, snip off leave, dry it useing microwave oven to dry leave, you can use leave for cooking.

yama

jogood
Newly Registered

thanks for your advice. Also, one more thing, I read on one website that the leaves will normally fall off in winter anyway, is that true? And, as I mentioned in my last post, the plant is currently in a pot. If the surface becomes covered in snow, will I still need to water it during the winter? If so, should I just pour water on the snow?
Thanks again

yama

Hi
During winter, you don't need to water.Too much water kill plant.
Leave will fall of after hard frost. It is normal.
It flower in april. Sansho have male and female tree. You have to have both male and female side by side.
Sansho seeds are hard come by. so take good care of your sansho :D
You can airlayering sansho after leaf are fully developed. To start from cuttings, it took me 10 years to lean sucessfuly propagate from cuttings.
There is native sansho ( north America) ,cousinof Japanese/Korean varaiety. Bark was used to kill pain of teeth.gum/ by native Indian.
Japanese used to cach fish many years ago.
yama

jogood
Newly Registered

HI yama san,

Thank you for your advice, its very helpful

jogood
Newly Registered

Further to my previous post regarding my small sansho plant which dropped all its leaves and branches at the beginning of winter. After four and half months of dry, sub zero sapporo weather, with lots of snow, I am happy to announce that with the recent coming of spring this last week or so, my plant is starting to shows new growth. I wasnt really sure if it was still alive but thankfully it is. So, I just thought I should share this information. These plants can survive long, cold, snowy winters outdoors without watering.

yama

hi from Tokyo
Sapporo is warmer than other part of Hokkaido and snow protected your sansho from freezing ground tempreture.
Enjoy joyfull spring of Japan.                  yama

jogood
Newly Registered

Is now a good time of year for re-potting?

jorie
Newly Registered

Hi All,
I live in Malaysia and looking for sansho seed to sow them here.
Can any one tell me how can I get the seed.
Thank you.
Rgds
Jorie

hollie
Newly Registered

If there is any seeds available still I would definitelybe interested please email me hollie_1973@yahoo.com or message me thanks happy growin

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”